Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

bakeoboy
Top Producer

Re: Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

Postby bakeoboy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Veenture wrote:Yours is an important observation Dennis but I’m thinking the ‘artist link up’ with a particular type/brand of guitar is important too, if not more so.

You know, the Ventures have endorsed Mosrite for only a few short years during which time manufacture, sales and distribution was most successful I daresay but it seems the band is for all time tied to Mosrite in the media, especially in Japan because of mega populatity over there keeping Japanese sales going steadily. Since 1965 the band has endorsed other brands as we know; like Fender (again), Gibson, Aria and lately the Wilson Bros.

Nokie has helped prolong the success of the Ventures model Mosrite by playing (correct me if I’m wrong) on the “Nokie model” during some of his solo engagements in Japan. Of Course The Ramones and others have made their contribution but that's pretty much it.
dont forget Iron Butterfly,Strawberry Alarm Clock,and the B-52's!
There are too many new guitar gods out there today endorsing so many (new) brands making stiff competition for Mosrite.
Only if a mega new (preferably young) guitar hero comes along and just happens to fancy playing a Mosrite guitar then boy, just see how quickly a chain of manufacture, distribution and sales is set up. :shock:

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Hey Artie, I had to search for your text hidden somewhere in the quote but you're right about adding Iron Butterfly, Strawberry Alarm Clock and the B-52's to the list of Mosrite players and I'm sure we've left out some others still but I think my point came across... ;)

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:51 pm

My observation has nothing to do with vintage Mosrites, and as much as I like Chet Atkins and Brian Seetzer, and Les Paul - I have never bought a Gretsch (and only owned one ever Les Paul) because I enjoyed hearing them play them. I think the Mosrite design can stand on its own merit against any guitar on the market - problem is - it's not on the market. The reason I have a Hallmark, and will probably own another, is because the design, quality, and affordability are all present - and all I have to do is go to the website, look at the array of guitars, and click to purchase. Unfortunately, I cannot do that with a Mosrite. The new Hallmark is going to be in the range of a new Mosrite, but because of accessibility, I am certain it will sell more ... Not a slam, but "every kid in Japan" seems to want Mosrites, and they seem to be in stores "on every corner" and it certainly hasn't hurt their business there.
So many guitars; So little time ..

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:08 pm

I don't know if you were aware but Sugar the Guitarist from the Ohio Players played a 6/12 Mosrite doubleneck.

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Veenture wrote:Hey Artie, I had to search for your text hidden somewhere in the quote but you're right about adding Iron Butterfly, Strawberry Alarm Clock and the B-52's to the list of Mosrite players and I'm sure we've left out some others still but I think my point came across... ;)

MC5
B-52's
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:07 pm

jtr654 wrote:I don't know if you were aware but Sugar the Guitarist from the Ohio Players played a 6/12 Mosrite doubleneck.

His Red Doubleneck was stolen many years ago....and I believe he went by the name of 'Sugarfoot.'.... ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:31 am

GattonFan makes a good point about the kids in Japan. Mosrite is embraced by young people there. Here in the US it tends to be old timers(like me) who were around when Semie was making guitars.(there are exceptions, but they are rare) In the Music Related section I posted some young Japanese players, and I see several of these young players who have achieved some degree of fame endorsing Fillmore made Mosrites.

Dnepr

Postby Dnepr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:18 am

Well, I must be one of the exceptions. I'm 32, not a Ventures fan, not a Ramones fan, and I live in Michigan where Mosrites are all but impossible to find. I am a huge Joe Maphis / Phil Baugh / Bakersfield country guy though and went for a Mosrite solely based on playability and sound. I have gotten some funny looks from the die-hard Rockabilly freaks when they've seen me playing my Maphis recently, but once they hear the sound they all comment on how great it is. When I let someone try the guitar out though, they usually hate it... (Nobody likes any of my guitars...) :cry:
It's a limited appeal brand here in the States, and even the clones have limited draw. Sure, if they were hanging in more stores, more people might stumble across them and buy one. But even then the price point might limit the amount of youngsters buying them. Fender, Gibson, and Gretsch all offer entry level instruments that get the youngins' lusting for the higher end models. I can't think of a single guitar player that doesn't constantly wish of getting the "next one"or a "better one".
As it has been said before though, until some huge new name is seen playing one, I don't think that they'll be top sellers. That just seems to be the case in the US. The one nice thing about the small market, is that it will hopefully hold up the level of quality that we all appreciate in the Vintage, modern, and clones that we all love.
JMHO 8-)

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:55 am

Dnepr,
Agree, it will be a niche market. You say other players love the sound of your Joe Maphis, but hate how it plays. Is it the skinny neck issue?

Dnepr

Postby Dnepr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:58 am

It seems to be a combination of the skinny neck, small frets and the string height above the body. The latter is what took a little getting used to for me, though now I really like that aspect.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”