Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Re: Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

Postby dorkrockrecords » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:31 am

GattonFan wrote:but "every kid in Japan" seems to want Mosrites, and they seem to be in stores "on every corner" and it certainly hasn't hurt their business there.

Since Strat-o-rama resurrected GattonFan's post, I want to make it clear that this isn't really true. Mosrites are on every corner because of the cultural impact the Ventures had some 45 years ago, but not every kid in Japan wants a Mosrite. The market is driven by the baby boomers, many of whom retired in the past few years and have money to spend.

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:49 am

Hyperbole - to illustrate that in Japan (apparently) one can go into a music store and actually play a Mosrite - because they're available. Try to find one in the USA - and who wants to buy a product they can't try out? This is why (generalization) the only people who buy Mosrites (mail order) are people who have had Mosrites - it's a vicious cycle - once again - because you just can't get them here. Better distribution = more exposure & more Mosrite buyers.
So many guitars; So little time ..

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:56 am

Not to nitpick, but the logistics of distribution are considerably simpler in a country the size of California, and even then, you'd be hard pressed to just walk into a shop outside the Tokyo or Osaka metro area and find a Mosrite to plug in.

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:32 pm

GattonFan wrote:Hyperbole - to illustrate that in Japan (apparently) one can go into a music store and actually play a Mosrite - because they're available. Try to find one in the USA - and who wants to buy a product they can't try out? This is why (generalization) the only people who buy Mosrites (mail order) are people who have had Mosrites - it's a vicious cycle - once again - because you just can't get them here. Better distribution = more exposure & more Mosrite buyers.

But if there ever is a time when there are more people in the USA playing Mosrites, then the demand goes up & the price goes up. I'm not sure I want this guitar to get real popular.

However, if someone plays a Hallmark & gets some more mainstream props for that product, I'd be thrilled. Good gravy I can't wait until I get mine!
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:17 pm

I realise this is Artie's thread but I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning that by merely looking at a picture of the Hallmark 60 Custom guitar and reading a bit of Hallmark history and other relevant info on Bob Shade’s website was enough for me to jump in at the deep end without even having to get to try it out first.
After seeing the attractive price tag on it -which even included a crocodile hard shell case, there was no turning away from the Hallmark website without ordereing a Hallmark guitar first.

Very hesitant of doing online trades illustrates how strong my attraction to the Mosrite guitar is, my desire to get me one having been fed by the Ventures primarily and only. Hallmark did not disappoint.

If Bob’s intention was to target folks like me, he certainly has succeeded and with more ‘niche customers’ like me (and they are out there –worldwide) he's pointing his bow and arrow in the right direction IMHO.

It was only on the Mosriteforum.com that I first learned of Front Porch Music and Artie selling Fillmore Mosrites…

So we have at least two good sources that can cater to our “Mosrite needs” –each in it’s own attractive way and not having to learn to speak the Japanese language either –with all respect.

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:31 pm

As it has been said before though, until some huge new name is seen playing one, I don't think that they'll be top sellers.

Kurt Cobain Nirvana
The Ramones
Iron Butterfly
The Ventures
All these bands sold millions of albums and where hugely popular even so Mosrite still hasn't become huge. I don't think any new player or band will increase sales. I for one like it that way. Mosrite will never be huge but will always be the hippest guitar around.

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 pm

I agree with your sentiments Brutus. When I saw an Excellent 65 review some years back my heart sank as I thought every man and his dog would soon be using them but that didn't happen.
It's quite a paradox: I'd like Mosrite to get the universal recognition and respect it deserves but at the same time I don't want it to become so common that it ends up being just another guitar hanging on the wall.
Quite the conundrum.
Bill.

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:45 pm

The Hallmark 60 Custom might give the buying public a guitar that is as much a Mosrite as the clones MIJ and with a much more user friendly neck, frets & price. I brought mine to a local shop owner and collector ( MY Music store in Mpls.) and he and his employees both agreed that had the original Mosrite's we've collectively own had the necks this guitar has that we would have kept them.

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

jtr654 wrote:The Hallmark 60 Custom might give the buying public a guitar that is as much a Mosrite as the clones MIJ

With all due resect to the fine guitar that the Hallmark 60 Custom is.. it is not as much of a Mosrite as the MIJ one are. They don't say Mosrite, they have different pups, and trem units plus the necks and frets are not faithful to Semie's design.

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:46 pm

But thats why I like it better than the Orignal ones I've own the neck was my main problem.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”