Mosrite Fuzzrite

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite Fuzzrite

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:13 pm

...................................Image.................................
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:09 am

I've been diligently reading all these threads lately, mostly laying back and learning.
I have the "Fuzzrite by Sanner" that I ordered back in '98 from Front Porch. Artie said it is one of the last of the first run. I got it to capture that mid '60s type fuzz. If I ever gig again (another topic), "Blues Theme" from the Wild Angels soundtrack will be on the set list, and I've found the Fuzzrite with Jazzmaster gets me real close to the sound (Using a '95 blues Deluxe). Anyone, Zak, know what Davie used for those sessions originally?
Thanks guys.

zak

Postby zak » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:32 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:If I ever gig again (another topic), "Blues Theme" from the Wild Angels soundtrack will be on the set list, and I've found the Fuzzrite with Jazzmaster gets me real close to the sound (Using a '95 blues Deluxe). Anyone, Zak, know what Davie used for those sessions originally?

Haha you bet! I LOVE Davie's 60s stuff, and I've had the opportunity to talk gear with him in the past (he's a REALLY nice guy, by the way...hardly the tough-as-nails biker type you'd imagine by listening to his records haha). Here's a breakdown of the gear he used:

On the Skaterdater soundtrack & Apache '65 LP Davie used a Jazzmaster (the same one he uses today, although it has been refinished and the pickups have been replaced), Maestro Fuzz, and the brownface Fender Concert amp which Davie used on all his 60s recordings.
He got a Fuzzrite in time for the Wild Angels soundtrack and the "Blue's Theme" LP, (by the way that's "Blue's Theme" not "Blues Theme" - "Blue" was the name of the central character in Wild Angels played by Peter Fonda) and right around that time the Arrows became Mosrite endorsers. The Jazzmaster was used on some of this material, but Davie's trademark Maphis doubleneck also made its appearance around this time. Although seldom photographed with it, Davie also used a single-neck Ventures model.
By the time Cycle-Delic Sounds came out, it was Mosrite all the way.

The key to Davie's sound on his 60s recordings is the fact that most of his guitars were heavily multitracked, creating a very 3-dimensional sound where his wang bar inflections on separate tracks clash against each other.

Davie's current setup is his old Jazzmaster (it used to be white but it has been refinished black, now has humbuckers in the neck & bridge positions and a strat pickup in the middle), a ProCo RAT, Crybaby wah, and a Tube Screamer into a silverface Twin Reverb. He's used that setup since the 90s, with the exception of the Skaterhater record that he did with the Phantom Surfers and the 7" of "Shape Of Things To Come/Vanishing Breed" on Total Energy Records (according to Davie, Mel Bergman "forced" him to use a Fuzzrite for those recordings haha).

If you're interested...here's a VERY short version of an interview I did with Davie in 1999:
http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/ ... usic3.html
Unfortunately they chopped it down to next-to-nothing...here's the full unedited version:
http://www.treblemakers.8m.com/Document ... rview.html

Davie & me in 1999 at the Davie Allan/Treblemakers show in Montreal:

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Went right to the long, uncut interview. Excellent! Good set of questions, Zak. Thanks!

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:28 pm

Forgot to mention. Sorry about the mispelling of Blue's Theme. Yes, i was aware the reference to the character's name. I have actually seen "The Wild Angels", and the name Blue is the character's nickname derived from 'blue morning glory'. Apparently, the seeds of the blue morning glory contain a hallucinagen.
Also, I found it odd that Davie Allen had never heard of Freddie King. Freddie is one of my all time favorites and highly under-rated.

(edited for a spelling/typo error)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Went right to the long, uncut interview. Excellent! Good set of questions, Zak. Thanks!

Ditto, same here. Zak, did you by chance ask Davie if he still has his Doubleneck
and Single Neck Mosrites. We know about his FUZZrite, and we know he did Mods
to his J.Master. I didn't see him mention whether he still had the Mo's.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

zak

Postby zak » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:05 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Zak, did you by chance ask Davie if he still has his Doubleneck
and Single Neck Mosrites.

Unfortunately Davie doesn't have any of those guitars anymore. He was semi-interested in getting another Mosrite doubleneck but I think the current prices discouraged him!

Return to “Mosrite Amps & Accessories”