Mosrite double necks

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Re: Mosrite double necks

Postby Deke Dickerson » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:11 am

That makes sense, most of the cool Mosrites went straight to Japan back then! Especially the ones that turned up at the shops on Sunset Blvd, those guys had a direct pipeline to Tokyo going in those days.

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:36 am

More doubleneck madness....taken from gospel album covers.

From "The Gospel Guitar Of Johnny Young"....looks like a late 60's custom ordered doubleneck with an octave neck and a Mark V pickup....

From "So Little Time...by The Calvary-Aires"....the only authentic guitar/bass doubleneck I've ever seen. I've seen a couple other parts-Rites, but this LP dates from the late 60's so it's an original one.

Little David Smith....from the album "The Giant Sounds Of Little David" More on this guy coming soon!

I know I have pictures of more doublenecks, but that oughta do for one night....

Deke

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:20 am

I can't resist geeking out! Here is a red double neck with bass neck at Artie's shop and another octave neck as well. Sorry about the picture quality, but it was dark in there.

Mosrite forever!!

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:56 am

Deke posted:
I got a few quick snapshots of this one at Guitars R Us back on Sunset Blvd. about 12-13 years ago. It doesn't look that out of the ordinary at first glance, but after all my years of looking at these things, this is the only stock doubleneck from the 1964-1965 era I've ever seen. Time for a quick geek-out....Semie made plenty of doublenecks up until 1963 because he was still making everything by hand on a custom order basis. After he went into business with the Ventures, everything was so crazy that there were basically no more doublenecks until 1966, when the production model Joe Maphis doubleneck came out (12 string on top). This guitar, however, appears to be totally stock from the 1964-1965 era--Vibramute, metal nuts, tortoise guard....and an octave neck. So they must have made a few during this period, but this is the only one I've ever seen turn up.
THIS was one of the guitars that I was referring to that Drake Levin played, but was in Sunburst. The other was a 12/6, also in Sunburst, like pictured below. BTW, for those who don't know, Drake Levin was the Lead Guitarist for Paul Revere and the Raiders from 1963-1967.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:17 pm

I use to have Doug's phone number but can't find it. I haven't seen him in more than 20 years. I told the forum about our acquaintance on another thread. I'd like to get him on the forum to tell us about his guitar and experiences with Semie. Deke, if you have his number pm me.

Danny Ellison

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:00 pm

I lost his number on an old phone I had. But he shouldn't be too hard to track down....

Doug was a real nice guy with some hip stories about Semie. He was one of those guys who did about 10,000 hours of sanding and grunt work to pay off some of the dough for his doubleneck. Semie charged him 1200 DOLLARS for the thing in 1961 money. That's literally about 10 grand in today's money, maybe more.

Deke

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:09 pm

OK, here's one of Drake Levin with his 12/6 Sunburst, freezeframe it at 0.58seconds.
Still looking for the pic of Drake playing the Octive/6 Sunburst.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOlaPBfmNa0
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Deke Dickerson wrote: But he shouldn't be too hard to track down....

Wanna bet? :lol:
Danny Ellison

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Does he still work for the CHP or is he retired? Maybe if you called the local office and left a message....

I'm trying to remember how I got his info in the first place. For the life of me I can't remember!!!

Deke

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:54 pm

Nah! We are both retired. heck we're in our 60s now, to old to play cops and robbers. An agency will not give out personal information. I checked the phone book but no cop current or retired has a listed number. Last summer he was working temporarily for the City Building Inspector and he gave a fellow employee and mutual friend his phone number to give to me. Naturally I lost it. If you ever locate the number let me know.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”