Mosrite Balladere (Acoustic) Serial Numbers List - 4 Models (1960s)

101Volts
Master Contributor

Mosrite Balladere (Acoustic) Serial Numbers List - 4 Models (1960s)

Postby 101Volts » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:17 pm

===================
Thread Introduction:
===================

Welcome to the serial numbers list for Mosrite Balladere Acoustic Guitars. This list aims to help fill information about these scarcely spoken of guitar models, and to dispel two misconceptions about them. The model was apparently available in 1968, I'm not sure if it was available earlier.

Use either this main post, or my most recent post for the most recent update of the list.

Misconceptions:

1: "The Balladere was just a Bolt-On model, and that its elder sister model the Serenade was a Set Neck."

2: "There's only one Balladere model, the Bolt-On model."

There are 4 Balladere models.

The Balladere I (401) is a Set Neck,
The Balladere II (402) is unknown at this time, I have no photos of the back of one,
The Balladere III (403) is a Bolt-On.
The Balladere III-XII (403-12) is unknown at this time, I have no photos of the back of one.

I can't say for sure how common these misconceptions are, maybe only I and a few others held the idea that there was just one Balladere type, and that it was a Bolt-On. But I have seen a few Balladeres labeled as Serenade models.

That said; if your guitar's serial number starts with "F0," it's likely a Serenade. Otherwise, it's likely a Balladere. Known details of identifying each Balladere model are below.

Contributing to this list:

If you happen to own a Mosrite Acoustic of any type (whether it's of a Balladere or a Serenade model; I oversee serial number lists of all these kinds) and would like to contribute information, I'll need info (but preferably pictures) of these areas:

Most Critical:

Serial Number - Stamped in Fretboard (near the sound hole and the last fret) and also located on the sticker in the soundhole cavity.
Model Type - Refer to sticker in soundhole cavity. That's the simple way of identifying the type; short of that, refer to the features on each of the 4 Balladere models. Balladere I models are unbound, Balladere II models are bound and with a 5 inch deep body (roughly if not exact,) and Balladere III models are bolt-on necks.
Finish Type - These normally only came in a type of Natural, or Sunburst. There may be a few that do not follow this form.

Photos, if you can share, would be appreciated of these areas:

1 - Pic of the front of the guitar.
2 - Pic of the back of the guitar.
3 - Pic of the sticker in the soundhole (if still present.)
4 - Pic of the serial number, stamped into the end of the fretboard (if still present.)
5 - Pic of the headstock, front and top side.
6 - Pic of the headstock, rear.
7 - Pic of the body binding, to show if it has single or double ply binding.
8 - Pic of the neck binding, to show if it has single or double ply binding. (Optional.)

===================
Model Specifications:
===================

The Balladere apparently has 4 versions, going by Mosrite Catalog & Order Aheet sources. These details are pieces together as well as I could figure, but they might not be quite accurate at the time of this initial post:

Balladere I (401) - Spruce Top, Mahogany Sides & Back. Single-Bound Top and Back Body. Body is 3 1/4" Deep. Unbound Indian Rosewood Fretboard, Set Neck, White Tuner Buttons. Natural or Sunburst Finish. Rosewood Bridge. 24 1/2 Scale.

Balladere II (402) - Spruce Top, Rosewood Sides and Back. Front & Back of Body are Double-Bound. Body is 5" deep. Double-Bound Indian Rosewood Fretboard, Metal tuner buttons. Rosewood Bridge. 24 1/2" Scale, 20 Frets. - Wouldn't you expect the I to be the largest of the lot instead of the II?

Balladere III (403) - Spruce Top, Mahogany Sides and Back. Double-bound Bolt-On Neck. Fretboard's 99.999% likely to be Indian Rosewood, but is not confirmed. Rosewood Bridge. Probably 24 1/2" Scale.

Balladere III 12 String (403-12) - No details available except it's a 12 string version of the III. Probably follows many of the same specs as the III. No examples showed up by the time of the initial post.

==================================
Catalog Descriptions for most models:
==================================

The Balladere III 12 String version (403-12) is not listed in the quotes below. I saw a photo of it in the catalogs with its name, but no description. Perhaps that section wasn't sent to me in the pics of these catalogs.

Source I - Order Sheet:

Balladere I (401) -
"Deluxe Flat Top Guitar, spruce top, mahogany rims and back, special design rosewood bridge, Fast action neck, small body with a Big Full Sound." Cost $198, case was an additional $42.

Balladere II (402 ) -
"Deluxe large Auditorium Size, Flat Top, Slant Back Guitar, spruce top, rosewood rims and backs, Double Bound fast action neck, enclosed keys. Special design Mosrite Bridge. A big guitar with a sound to match any Flat Top" Cost $398, case was an additional $60.

Balladere III (403) -
"Deluxe medium size Flat Top, Slant Back Guitar with spruce top, mahogany rims and back, Double bound Fast Action neck, enclosed keys, special design Mosrite Rosewood Bridge." Cost $259, case was an additional $42.

Source 2 - 1968 Catalog Ad:

Balladere I:
"The ever popular Balladere I has created excitement with its big, deep sound and MOSRITE features. This medium sized flat top, open hole, non electric guitar is sought after by top recording artists for its outstanding production of sound.

The Balladere I boasts such features as a MOSRITE slim speed neck, bound body, stylish MOSRITE rosewood bridge, chrome plated enclosed dust resistant keys with sturdy white buttons, Indian Rosewood fretboard, adjustable reinforcing neck rod, and mahogany sides and back with spruce top."

Balladere II:
The Balladere II is the newest addition to the 1968 Line of MOSRITE Musical Instruments. This fascinating guitar has long been desired by artists everywhere for that distinct acoustic sound with the quality MOSRITE engineered speed neck and superior craftsmanship.

The Balladere II features large size body with a reich rosewood back and sides and a spruce top to enable both beauty and sound. The body is bound with two color laminated line purfling on front and back. It features a stylish MOSRITE rosewood bridge. Chrome plated enclosed dust resistant keys, bound indian rosewood fretboard, and adjustable reinforcing neck rod.

5 Inch Rim
24 1/2 Inch Scale
20 Frets"

Source 3 - Unspecified Scan:

Balladere I, Model 401:
"acoustic, small body with circular lower bout, mahogany back and sides, 3 1/4" deep, points at bridge ends, recessed belly of bridge, 2 dots on bridge, single-bound top and back, 24 1/2" scale, unbound fingerboard, white tuner buttons, natural or transparent sunburst finish"

Balladere II, Model 402:
"dreadnought body shape with thick waist, rosewood back and sides, 5" deep, double-bound top and back, 2 dots on bridge, pickguard with tail and point even with soundhole, metal tuner buttons."

===============
Recent Updates:
===============

2023:

10 January:

Added "FD8066" which I had previously downloaded 1 low-res pic of to my Mosrite Acoustics Folder, but I hadn't added it to this list because I wasn't sure what it was. This once belonged to Michael Marks. He also wasn't sure what exact model it was, but it's not a 12 string, and it isn't a Balladere I or III model, so I'm thinking it may be a II model.

Also changed format of the replies compared to the initial post, and removed catalog descriptions.

18 March:

FH8126 added. This belongs to Ronnie Sessions. It looks to be a Balladere III, and I'm told it has 3 bolts instead of 4. I've never seen this serial number type starting with "FH" before.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5297862 ... 825927139/

11 October:

Changed list formatting to reduce post numbers.

When there's a new update, I'll make a reply and delete the old one. I'll also update both the initial post, and the new reply with the new information. Lastly, my first reply to the topic will tally each update.

11 December:

An oddball of a number, F38034 (Sunburst,) added. I'm not sure where to put this one. It has "T S" inliaid just past the 12th fret.

===================
Model Specifications:
===================

The Balladere has 4 versions, going by Mosrite Catalog & Order Sheet sources. These details are pieced together as well as I could figure, but they may not be quite accurate yet:

Balladere I (401) - Spruce Top, Mahogany Sides & Back. Single-Bound Top and Back Body. Body is 3 1/4" Deep. Unbound Indian Rosewood Fretboard, Set Neck, White Tuner Buttons. Natural or Sunburst Finish. Rosewood Bridge. 24 1/2 Scale.

Balladere II (402) - Spruce Top, Rosewood Sides and Back. Front & Back of Body are Double-Bound. Body is 5" deep. Double-Bound Indian Rosewood Fretboard, Metal tuner buttons. Rosewood Bridge. 24 1/2" Scale, 20 Frets. - Wouldn't you expect the I to be the largest of the lot instead of the II?

Balladere III (403) - Spruce Top, Mahogany Sides and Back. Double-bound Bolt-On Neck. Fretboard's 99.999% likely to be Indian Rosewood, but is not confirmed. Rosewood Bridge. Probably 24 1/2" Scale.

Balladere III 12 String (403-12) - No details available except it's a 12 string version of the III. Probably follows many of the same specs as the III. No surviving examples are known yet.

===================
Accounted for # List:
===================

Balladere I, Style #401 -

FB-8025 - Mentioned at the Mosrite Forum, no pics: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3139&hilit=balladere
FB-8026, Style S-401 - Natural Front, Brown Back, Brown Headstock. Can't tell the number well on the neck. It looks like F89028, and the sound hole sticker says "S-401 FB-8026." https://www.alamomusic.com/used-1965-mo ... ic-guitar/
FB-8034 - "T S" Inlaid in Fretboard. Sunburst Body Front and Back. Neck Sunburst, Headstock Black w/ Burst Sides. Plastic Button Tuners, and the neck seems to also have a neck bolt cover held on with 3 small screws. --- https://reverb.com/item/25176-mosrite-b ... 8-sunburst --- Also seen here: https://reverb.com/uk/item/616140-mosri ... e-sunburst

Balladere II -

No guitars known for sure.

May be a Balladere II -

FD8066 - Natural Front. Once belonged to Michael Marks, who wasn't sure what model it is. No more details available. Low resolution pic saved.

Balladere III, Style #403 -

FA-8206 - Style S403. Body Front & Back in Sunburst. Tortoiseshell P.G., Black T.R.C. Natural Neck & Headstock. Diamond Tuners & 4 Bolt Neck w/ Ferrules. Was on eBay in 2009. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 3-76701357 --- http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1462
FA-8218 - Style #403. Body Front & Back in Sunburst, Natural Neck & Headstock. Diamond Tuners & 4-Bolt Neck w/Ferrules. Sticker says FA-8218, but the neck stamp's a mess. Digit One: "F," Digit Two: "A" (but stamped three times with another letter that looks like a B,) Digit Three: "8," Digit Four: "2" on top of maybe a "1," digit five (maybe, or this might be a ghost number:) "4," Digit Six: "1" over "8," Digit Seven: "8." --- Was for sale from Lawman Guitars.

Balladere IIIs? Strange #s Section:

FH8126 - Natural. This belongs to Ronnie Sessions. It looks to be a Balladere III, and I'm told it has 3 bolts instead of 4. I've never seen this serial number type before. Pics saved. https://www.facebook.com/groups/5297862 ... 825927139/

FK-8193 - Style 403. Pics of Sticker and Back only. Diamond Tuners, 4 Bolt Neck with Ferrules. I'm not sure if this is a later variant that came in or not.

FA G 0017 - Sunburst Front, unconfirmed back. Black Front Headstock with Sunburst Sides. Owned by member "ventinthemic." Guitar had a Piezo Pickup installed. Posted here at the forum, but the pic links are dead. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6129&p=62305#p62305 - Youtube Video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlicX7-U1OM

Balladere III 12 String, 403-12 -

No guitars known.

Unknown Model:

F38034 (Sunburst.) Listed as a Balladere, but this is almost how Serenades started in number. Has "T S" inlaid past the 12th fret.
https://reverb.com/item/616140-mosrite- ... _sold=true

=============================
Total # of Guitars Accounted for:

Accounted For #s:

Balladere I - 3
Balladere II - 0 or 1 (Unclear at this time.)
Balladere III - 5, seemingly.
Balladere III-XII - 0
Unknown Model - 1

Partly Accounted For #s:

Balladere III - 1

Total: 8 to 10.

=================================
Finishes and variants accounted for:

Balladere I:

Natural Front, Brown Back, Brown Headstock.
Sunburst Body Front and Back; Neck Sunburst, Headstock Black w/ Burst Sides.

The Catalog Ad said these came in Natural and Sunburst.

Balladere III:

Sunburst Body, Unknown Neck, Natural Headstock - FA 62xx," (the x marks probably mean he's hiding the #,) but "FA6" is an anomaly.
Sunburst Body, Unknown Neck, Black Front of Headstock with Sunburst Sides - FA G 0017.

======================
======================

If you happen to own a Mosrite Acoustic of any type (whether it's of a Balladere or a Serenade model; I oversee serial number lists of all these kinds) and would like to contribute information, I'll need info (but preferably pictures) of these areas:

Most Critical:

Serial Number - Stamped in Fretboard (near the neck block, between some of the highest frets) and also located on the sticker in the soundhole cavity.
Model Type - Refer to sticker in soundhole cavity. That's the simple way of identifying the type; short of that, refer to the features on each of the 4 Balladere models. Balladere I models are unbound, Balladere II models are bound and with a 5 inch deep body (roughly if not exact,) and Balladere III models are bolt-on necks.
Finish Type - These normally only came in a type of Natural, or Sunburst. There may be a few that do not follow this form.

4 - Pic of the serial number, stamped into the end of the fretboard (if still present.)
8 - Pic of the neck binding, to show if it has single or double ply binding. (Optional.)

=========================================================================

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite Balladere (Acoustic, Set Neck & Bolt On Neck) Serial Numbers List - 4 Models

Postby 101Volts » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:55 am

===================
Total Updates to List:
===================

2022:

November 13 :

First Post of List. Created list, added each guitar listed below.

2023:

January 10:

Added "FD8066" which I had previously downloaded 1 low-res pic of to my Mosrite Acoustics Folder, but I hadn't added it to this list because I wasn't sure what it was. This once belonged to Michael Marks. He also wasn't sure what exact model it was, but it's not a 12 string, and it isn't a Balladere I or III model, so I'm thinking it may be a II model.

Also changed format of the replies compared to the initial post, and removed catalog descriptions.

March 18:

FH8126 added. This belongs to Ronnie Sessions. It looks to be a Balladere III, and I'm told it has 3 bolts instead of 4. I've never seen this serial number type starting with "FH" before.

October 11:

When there's a new update, I'll make a reply and delete the old one. I'll also update both the initial post, and the new reply with the new information. Lastly, my first reply to the topic will tally each update.

- Austin

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite Balladere (Acoustic, Set Neck & Bolt On Neck) Serial Numbers List - 4 Models

Postby 101Volts » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:20 am

===============
Recent Updates:
===============

2023:

10 January:

18 March:

11 October:

===================
Model Specifications:
===================

The Balladere has 4 versions, going by Mosrite Catalog & Order Sheet sources. These details are pieced together as well as I could figure, but they may not be quite accurate yet:

Balladere III 12 String (403-12) - No details available except it's a 12 string version of the III. Probably follows many of the same specs as the III. No surviving examples are known yet.

===================
Accounted for # List:
===================

Balladere I, Style #401 -

FB-8025 - Mentioned at the Mosrite Forum, no pics: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3139&hilit=balladere
FB-8026, Style S-401 - Natural Front, Brown Back, Brown Headstock. Can't tell the number well on the neck. It looks like F89028, and the sound hole sticker says "S-401 FB-8026." https://www.alamomusic.com/used-1965-mo ... ic-guitar/
FB-8034 - "T S" Inlaid in Fretboard. Sunburst Body Front and Back. Neck Sunburst, Headstock Black w/ Burst Sides. Plastic Button Tuners, and the neck seems to also have a neck bolt cover held on with 3 small screws. --- https://reverb.com/item/25176-mosrite-b ... 8-sunburst --- Also seen here: https://reverb.com/uk/item/616140-mosri ... e-sunburst

Balladere II -

No guitars known for sure.

May be a Balladere II -

FD8066 - Natural Front. Once belonged to Michael Marks, who wasn't sure what model it is. No more details available. Low resolution pic saved.

Balladere III, Style #403 -

FA-8206 - Style S403. Body Front & Back in Sunburst. Tortoiseshell P.G., Black T.R.C. Natural Neck & Headstock. Diamond Tuners & 4 Bolt Neck w/ Ferrules. Was on eBay in 2009. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 3-76701357 --- http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1462
FA-8218 - Style #403. Body Front & Back in Sunburst, Natural Neck & Headstock. Diamond Tuners & 4-Bolt Neck w/Ferrules. Sticker says FA-8218, but the neck stamp's a mess. Digit One: "F," Digit Two: "A" (but stamped three times with another letter that looks like a B,) Digit Three: "8," Digit Four: "2" on top of maybe a "1," digit five (maybe, or this might be a ghost number:) "4," Digit Six: "1" over "8," Digit Seven: "8." --- Was for sale from Lawman Guitars.

Balladere IIIs? Strange #s Section:

FH8126 - Natural. This belongs to Ronnie Sessions. It looks to be a Balladere III, and I'm told it has 3 bolts instead of 4. I've never seen this serial number type before. Pics saved. https://www.facebook.com/groups/5297862 ... 825927139/

FK-8193 - Style 403. Pics of Sticker and Back only. Diamond Tuners, 4 Bolt Neck with Ferrules. I'm not sure if this is a later variant that came in or not.

FA G 0017 - Sunburst Front, unconfirmed back. Black Front Headstock with Sunburst Sides. Owned by member "ventinthemic." Guitar had a Piezo Pickup installed. Posted here at the forum, but the pic links are dead. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6129&p=62305#p62305 - Youtube Video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlicX7-U1OM

Balladere III 12 String, 403-12 -

No guitars known.

Total # of Guitars Accounted for:

Accounted For #s:

Balladere I - 3
Balladere II - 0 or 1 (Unclear at this time.)
Balladere III - 5, seemingly.
Balladere III-XII - 0

Partly Accounted For #s:

Balladere III - 1

Total: 8 or 9

Finishes and variants accounted for:

Balladere I:

Natural Front, Brown Back, Brown Headstock.
Sunburst Body Front and Back; Neck Sunburst, Headstock Black w/ Burst Sides.

The Catalog Ad said these came in Natural and Sunburst.

Balladere III:

Sunburst Body, Unknown Neck, Natural Headstock - FA 62xx," (the x marks probably mean he's hiding the #,) but "FA6" is an anomaly.
Sunburst Body, Unknown Neck, Black Front of Headstock with Sunburst Sides - FA G 0017.

======================
======================

Most Critical:

Serial Number - Stamped in Fretboard (near the neck block, between some of the highest frets) and also located on the sticker in the soundhole cavity.

=========================================================================

- Austin

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”