Original 1966 Mosrite Ventures Mark V (B1027)

SouthernVersion

Re: Original 1966 Mosrite Ventures Mark V (B1027)

Postby SouthernVersion » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:08 am

I'm not sure if the pickguard is spray-painted or not. When I used the reamer to get the holes for the pots and for the toggle switch to fit I noticed that the pickguard is actually a 3 ply. I forgot if its a Black-White-Black or White-Black-White pickguard. So, it could be.

The red on the bottom of the body, and a little at the top, are just scuffs. You can see that there is some chipped paint with a grey primer, and even deeper you can see just plain wood. I don't think there is a finish under this finish sadly.

Photos:

Red and grey scuffs on the bottom of the body.

Top of the body: Red scuffs and chipped white paint showing the grey primer underneath. You can also see a part of the chipped paint and no grey primer, just plain wood.

Better angle of previous photo.

More chipped paint with grey primer under.

Heres another chip, but I see black paint on it. Might be a chip and a scuff. Not sure.
1966 Mosrite The Ventures Mark V (B1027)
1966 Inter-mark Cipher Ranger
1970's Encore Short Scale Bass
1970's Hondo II (Les Paul Copy)
2016 Eastwood Mach II (JR. Elite) w/ Hallmark Pickups
2019 Dana Moseley Wound Ventures I Pickup in a Strat

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:42 am

I am glad your guitar is coming together, and thanks for the parts purchase!

SouthernVersion

Postby SouthernVersion » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:30 pm

Bob Shade wrote:I am glad your guitar is coming together, and thanks for the parts purchase!

Thanks Bob, and thank you for sending me the parts haha!

SouthernVersion

Postby SouthernVersion » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:34 pm

Another update:

As seen in the previous pictures I posted. The white refin is cracking and falling off in some spots relieving an ugly grey. I am very much a fan of a natural relic, but the primer grey looks really bad, I think. After some time, I would like to sand it all off and do another refinish job myself. Though I'm not sure what color to go with. I've seen a Carved Ventures II in black and thought it looked really cool. But I also LOVE the look of a blue Ventures II / Mark V, like Ricky's from the B-52's, but its such a common color so the question. Beauty over rarity? I'm not sure yet.

When it comes time to do a refin I will also make a new single ply pickguard, as well as fill and redrill the holes for the pickguard, and replace the oversized flathead screws with proper philips. I will also add the 2 missing holes and screws for the neck pickup ring.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:23 pm

SouthernVersion wrote:Another update:

As seen in the previous pictures I posted. The white refin is cracking and falling off in some spots relieving an ugly grey. I am very much a fan of a natural relic, but the primer grey looks really bad, I think. After some time, I would like to sand it all off and do another refinish job myself. Though I'm not sure what color to go with. I've seen a Carved Ventures II in black and thought it looked really cool. But I also LOVE the look of a blue Ventures II / Mark V, like Ricky's from the B-52's, but its such a common color so the question. Beauty over rarity? I'm not sure yet.

When it comes time to do a refin I will also make a new single ply pickguard, as well as fill and redrill the holes for the pickguard, and replace the oversized flathead screws with proper philips. I will also add the 2 missing holes and screws for the neck pickup ring.

It seems red, white, blue, and burst are the most typical colors for Mark Vs. So go with one of those for tradition, or since it's your guitar and a re-finish anyway, do something unique. You won't be adding any value by going with a traditional color because it's a refinish. You won't be hurting it's value by doing something different because, again, it's a refinish. Just do a good job. ;)

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:28 pm

You could also go with one of those rarer MK V finishes from later on, like Candy Apple Red or that single case of a "Ink Blue" that's somewhere in the B1500s or B1600s.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

SouthernVersion

Postby SouthernVersion » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:23 am

Greg_L wrote:

It seems red, white, blue, and burst are the most typical colors for Mark Vs. So go with one of those for tradition, or since it's your guitar and a re-finish anyway, do something unique. You won't be adding any value by going with a traditional color because it's a refinish. You won't be hurting it's value by doing something different because, again, it's a refinish. Just do a good job. ;)

Yeah, I think red, and blue are really beautiful colors. A sunburst is out of my skills for refinishing. I've got time to think.

SouthernVersion

Postby SouthernVersion » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:24 am

101Volts wrote:

You could also go with one of those rarer MK V finishes from later on, like Candy Apple Red or that single case of a "Ink Blue" that's somewhere in the B1500s or B1600s.

- Austin

Yeah I could. I wanna keep it simple, and more original. Not so rare that its sorta unbelievable, if that makes sense?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:53 pm

SouthernVersion wrote:Yeah I could. I wanna keep it simple, and more original. Not so rare that its sorta unbelievable, if that makes sense?

Yeah, no problem there.

I'm not sure which shade of Red was used in 1966, if you want to go that route. I'm gonna guess it might be a Ford Falcon Red, but that's a bit of a big guess that I haven't confirmed. I'm just guessing it because Mosrite used Ford Tractor Blue.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

SouthernVersion

Postby SouthernVersion » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:20 pm

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks! Definitely going back and forth between red and blue haha!

I do suspect the pickups were swapped accidentally when the original refinisher refinished the guitar. No matter how low I put the neck pickup the neck is always louder than the bridge pickup. I had checked the resistance of the pickups when I first received the guitar, I've since forgot those numbers (will check and post below).

-Matthew

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”