flatwounds

t-bone

flatwounds

Postby t-bone » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:25 pm

So I have read passing reference to flat wound strings in older threads without much discussion. i gave it a try on my combo (11’s wound 3rd) and it kind of blew my mind. First off was the obvious-no finger squeak noise....that is a big one with the higher output Mosrite pickups. There was something else, though.....the sound has less bite on initial contact, but super full, but not sacrificing any of the overdriven qualities that I love so much in my setup (Combo + Twin Reverb). My words and descriptions may fail me. A better example of the change might be that after the change of strings I went through adjusting my pickup and polepiece heights. Everything seemed so much more obvious and honest with the sound. It has made me so much more deliberate with what I put into my playing and expect to come out of my speaker. Full disclosure, I do not use a plectrum. I am just wondering where other Mosrite players have gone with flat wound strings. I would encourage trying it once for a change and sharing what you feel, especially if you choose to stick with round wounds.
Mosrite Forever

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: flatwounds

Postby 101Volts » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 pm

I've never played Flatwounds, TBH so I do have a curiosity about them. I tried Half-Rounds (not recommended by me for their feel, it's so much more difficult to slide on them at all) and Pure Nickel strings though. The Pure Nickel strings will be between Round Wounds and Flat Wounds and I thought a set of Pure Nickel .12s made my ES-335 copy sound a lot like the 50s.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

t-bone

Postby t-bone » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm

That is interesting about the Half-Rounds being tough to slide on because the Flats with the Mosrite frets feel down right slippery. I would maybe add, on second thought, that there may be more decay or over all less sustain if that fits what you mean regarding.
Mosrite Forever

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 am

Flat wound seems to be the thing in Acoustic Guitar now also.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”