mosrite mark v

tama168

mosrite mark v

Postby tama168 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Sellers of auctions say this is the body and neck of vintage mosrite mark v. Do you think it is real?https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dt3sUz7U0AAYWmE.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dt3sW_dU8AA0zAK.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dt3scCrU4AA6IWP.jpg

Gonkulator

Re: mosrite mark v

Postby Gonkulator » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:27 am

Looks like its real but just in poor condition.

The truss rod cover looks to be home made though.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:45 pm

This is most likely to be real. This is a Mark V model, keep in mind; most copies of Mosrite guitars are of the Ventures and Ventures II Slab Body model, not the Mark V and the few Mark V copies that exist usually say "Gospel" on the headstock because of the connection with Kurt Cobain who had one of the last Mark V models ever manufactured which read "Gospel" on the headstock. Back to this guitar, it seems to be an early 1968 model going by:

1: The date stamp (which is hard for me to read out but seems to be February 25, 1968)
2: The Headstock (which doesn't have a Ventures logo on it.)

Notes about this individual instruent:

1: The string guide doesn't seem to be original though I'm not sure; originals at least don't look like brass. I'm not sure what the original string guides are made of but if they're brass, they're plated.
2: The tuners look original;
3: The finish, I'm guessing, is original (though these pictures aren't very clear.)
4: The frets, if they're .070 thousandths of an inch wide, are likely to be original (that size hasn't been made commercially, as best as I can tell, for a long time.)

Any chance we can get a picture of the serial number if it's still there? (It should be just beyond the highest fret and I expect the number's in the B1000 - B1650 range.) Maxkat's compiling a comprehensive list of these for Mosrite historical purposes. There should be a date stamped on the bottom side of the neck's heel, too.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

tama168

Postby tama168 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 pm

Thank you very much. The date is not displayed on the neck. The tremolo mounted on this is MOSELEY roller bridge.
The body is $ 300. The neck is $ 300. Tremolo is $400. It is on sale. Is this reasonable?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:47 pm

tama168 wrote:Thank you very much. The date is not displayed on the neck. The tremolo mounted on this is MOSELEY roller bridge.
The body is $ 300. The neck is $ 300. Tremolo is $400. It is on sale. Is this reasonable?

You're welcome. I'm not sure if you're asking if it's for sale at a store or if you're offering it for sale but to consider it, that's $1,000 for the whole, without:

Electronics;
Pickguard;
Pickups;
Knobs (Vol & Tone + Pickup Selector; )
Neck Plate & Screws;
Bridge, Bridge Posts & Saddles (assuming the vibrato unit doesn't have it which you didn't mention.)

Market for an all original MK V with its original equipment in this condition seems to be around $1,500 - $1,600 on eBay, give or take (unless they only just went up in price, that was the going rate for some time for one in this ballpark condition) so the body and neck together (especially with the original finish, original tuners and what seem to be original frets) aren't bad in price; they're about at market value.

I wasn't sure about the price of a vibrato (tremolo) unit as of late but the last few sales of these on eBay were $280 and $380:

November 10, $280 Sale (has some paint or corrosion in it and is missing the arm: )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosrite-1966-C ... Swdrhby3KI

October 24, $380 sale (with vibrato arm: )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosrite-1968-C ... SwKcRbylXZ

Seems like these vibratos went up in price. I'd have to say whether or not this vibrato unit is worth it depends on condition, $400 might be a little above market.

If you're considering buying this instrument and would like to return it to stock, there are some fellows you could contact for replacement parts:

1: Ed Elliott (https://www.facebook.com/ed.elliott.562 , also has an account here but I don't think he logs in here much anymore; )
2: Bob Shade (Hallmark Guitars, http://www.hallmarkguitars.com and is a member here; memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=236; )

Personally, I have a Mark V (with its earlier name) and I ended up buying nearly the same exact set of parts you'd need from Ed. The sale wasn't on eBay though and IMHO it took a long time for me to get anything but Ed did come through and he did work for a fair price; $400 for:

Both Mark V style pickups wound to spec (and not wax potted, per my request) with Mosrite pickup covers and pickup rings;
Electronics;
A Pickguard;
All 3 Knobs (Vol & Tone, Pickup Selector; )
Extra Saddles (I needed a G saddle, he gave me multiple saddles.)

If you end up needing a bridge, this Mark V (in stock form) had a non-roller bridge; Mosrite did have roller bridges available in the 60s (not for this guitar, though, as best as I know) and I don't know if the string spacing was different for them. Either way, Ed or Bob Shade might be able to help you out but if you go to Bob you should ask him if he has some new old stock Mosrite non-roller bridges. Don't get one of his Hallmark bridges; even though they do fit in and they're quality bridges with saddles that lock, the string spacing's too wide for a Mosrite Mark V.

- Austin

tama168

Postby tama168 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Thank you for your kindness. I will buy a part and let me finish it.

I was saved by your wisdom. Thank you.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:22 am

You're welcome. Which part might that be?

Also, I should note one other thing; since this is a 1968 model it probably doesn't have a neck plate like the 1966 model I have, it more likely has either 3 or 4 ferrules for the neck screws to go in.

- Austin

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”