65 Vibramute Repair

panther
Top Producer

Re: 65 Vibramute Repair

Postby panther » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:53 am

Doesn't look good, but no game not over yet.
Try a drop of penetrating oil on the nut. Let it soak for at least a day. It appears the rod is bent, not broken. Next find the correct size socket at CAREFULLY try to unscrew the nut. DO NOT USE TOO MUCH FORCE. It should come lose fairly easy. Once you get the nut off, you can inspect the rod to see where the bend might be. If it appears the rod is cracked at the start of the threads I'd stop there and seek a luthier. If not cracked, I would screw the nut back onto the end of the rod, and carefully, and slowly try to straighten the rod, using the socket. I don't think you will have enough movement to worry about snapping the rod off, but still be careful. Once it's straight, it may be OK. That depends on what happened when it became bent in the first place. Once straight unscrew the nut, it appears that a washer is missing, find an appropriate washer and put it on before the nut.
This may not be the way others would do this, so other chime in and give further advice. This is just what I would do.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

lynxzen

Postby lynxzen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:48 pm

I left it at luthier today. I'll keep you guys updated as I get more info. Thank you all for the help!

mosriteer

Postby mosriteer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:39 am

I have had a few Mo's with this issue and it should be an easy fix. Had to take out the neck, put a little lube on the nut, then bend the neck slowly in the right direction with the middle of the neck on my knees to re-orient the nut. Once in this position, with the neck still bent, the nut could be turned. A luthier should have a jig with clamps to do this properly. I have seen those jigs in the Stew-Mac catalog. If the truss rod does not come out, Stew-Mac sells a truss rod repair kit that is right for extracting the truss rod nut and for fixing the truss rod cavity to flatten the surface on which the nut and washer sits. No, I am not a Stew-Mac rep, nor earn any commission from them. If the fretboard is warped, clamping will also help unless it is warped too badly.

Good luck with everything - you have a treasure here!
-Kanad

Dickey

Postby Dickey » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:25 pm

The truss rod almost looks like there is something else in there, like a truss rod nut from a Gibson. I have a '65 Ventures & have never adjusted it, as the neck is totally straight the way I like it.

I'm thinking if you remove the nut, then re-mount it so it is perfectly centered, you should be OK. A drop of Elmers to hold it is all you'ld need.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:42 pm

lynxzen wrote:I went to adjust the truss rod when I found the adjuster bent down like this. Is this game over? https://imgur.com/a/P8zBnXM

No, I had this same issue on my Ventures II and it turned out fine after a little work. At worst, you'll need to take a truss rod wrench and cut part of it off so it fits in that tight spot. This seems to happen if the truss rod's left tightened with no strings on the neck for a long time.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”