Beautiful Mosrite Combo on Pawn Stars, March 5

Eduardo Aguilu

Beautiful Mosrite Combo on Pawn Stars, March 5

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:46 pm

After I saw this show on Mar. 5 I came here to see if anyone had posted it and I was going to post it the next day but life got a little complicated so I put it on the back burner until now. A young female country performer came into the Pawn Shop with a beautiful, mint Mosrite Combo guitar. We had to listen to Cory's limited knowledge of Mosrite while trading quips with the young lady. Eventually, Cory told her he was going to send for their expert appraiser then the commercial. When the appraiser arrives, he looks the guitar over and point to 2 unusual features desirable to collectors. Take a look at the video which, unfortunately, is a split-screen presentation with the other half of the screen being a "subscribe" screen. I used my keyboard's zoom button to almost isolate the Pawn Star screen and enjoyed the program again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_O3jO68I7A

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Beautiful Mosrite Combo on Pawn Stars, March 5

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 pm

The guitar was in beautiful condition. The expert was incorrect on the F hole having the plastic binding. I think every Combo I've seen has it. The very early Combos did not have the binding so I'd say it's more rare to NOT have it than to have it.

The full tremolo is not usual but they usually have the half trem. If you Google the Mosrite Combo and look at images you will find plenty of samples with the full trem. I don't think it doubles the value however. I also think he was incorrect in dating the guitar around 1967-1968. The model at the pawn shop had tall hat knobs instead of short hat knobs. It also had "By Moseley" under the logo instead of "Of California". I would place that Combo at 1972 or later.

Here is another with the full trem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNlOX7yZdA
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

t-bone

Postby t-bone » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:45 am

Hey, all. Thought that I could throw my two bits in on this one. At the website you can get a better look. It’s serial # is c0019. I have seen this guitar around on reverb late last year. It was on my radar. I own Combo c0024. My pot codes are 137 71 06. Mine originally had the half trem. For the record, although mine had many missing original items the switch tip was the same white plastic cover. The only difference that I can tell between the guitars is that the headstock on mine is sunburst. The most amazing feature that they missed is that these guitars have triple w/b/w binding instead of just w/b. Such a gorgeous guitar, and seemingly all original, too. here’s the link to the pawn shop site
https://gspawn.com/vintage-mosrite-combo-guitar/
Mosrite Forever

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Wow, Mosrite made Combos in the 1970s? My knowledge of Mosrite's history in the 70s and 80s is probably lacking a great amount.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”