"The Ventures model" logo - large & small

Eduardo Aguilu

"The Ventures model" logo - large & small

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Since the '60s I've learned all that interested me about Mosrite by way of The Ventures. I also learned a lot here on this forum but there is one topic I missed seeing. I'm curious about "The Ventures model" logo on the headstock. First the logo was large and then smaller.

Is there any archived documentation where Semie and the members of the Ventures discussed adding the logo, its size, and where it was to be placed?

Additionally, when the logo was minimized were there discussions as to why?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: "The Ventures model" logo - large & small

Postby dubtrub » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:48 pm

I read several years ago, I think it was in the book 'Walk Don't Run' The Story of the Ventures by Dell Halterman, where Semie was quoted as saying the reason the Ventures logo was reduced in size was because it didn't please him that it was larger than his Mosrite logo. This had to be around mid to late 1967.
Danny Ellison

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:23 pm

I owned the book "Walk Don't Run" and I'll admit I missed reading that section. That book was so fantastic with the information it provided that I got bleary-eyed and started to scan fast. Thanks for that info and Semie's reason seems to make sense.My just-acquired KuroKumo bass has the small logo and it looks better than the old large logo. The smaller logo is more visually harmonious.

AZ Mike

Postby AZ Mike » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 am

The book might be incorrect about the year of the change to the small "The Ventures Model" logo. If you look at a picture of an early, same-color headstock, it features the larger logo, but my '65 has the smaller one. Wish I could post pictures of each here, but they're easy to find online.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”