Mark II vs. Mark V Differences?

MozRite

Mark II vs. Mark V Differences?

Postby MozRite » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:24 pm

I actually did a search and didn't find anything. I found Mark I vs. Mark V but no Mark II vs. Mark V information.

I believe there are two type of Mark II models. One with German Carved body and one that, well isn't and different pickups. Wasn't Johnny Ramone's the non German Carved body model?

Okay so the German Carved body Mark II looks to me like the Mark V in many ways but I could guess there must be differences. Please advise on the differences. I think I see the German Carved Mark II models going for more than the Mark V models when I see them on the Bay or on Reverb.

Thanks
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Mark II vs. Mark V Differences?

Postby 101Volts » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello. Johnny's guitars were usually the "MK II" Ventures II "Slab Body" Model (Made from June-August 1965 so I read) although he did play a few Ventures/MK I models.

Although someone else can give you a more detailed comparison (I don't have a Slab Body model to compare to my German Carve model,) I read the Slab Body model "plays like a toy compared to other Mosrites." Its stock pickups are not the same as other Mosrite models either.

The later German Carve Ventures II (1965-1966) is nearly the same guitar as a MK V (which got its name in 1966) but there are some differences with at least a number of 1965 models; Mosrite had a habit of using up leftover parts so some German Carve Ventures II models have a Slab Body vibrato unit and some models have elongated pickguards compared to the later models; maybe Mosrite was using up leftover Slab Body necks which were shorter which explains why the neck pickups on these are farther away from the bridge.

I hope that helps!

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”