Need some help with this one. What is it?

maxkat

Re: Need some help with this one. What is it?

Postby maxkat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:37 am

Hi there,

the body is stamped "NOV 12", not May, and when a Mosrite stamp says November it must say 1965, because that is the only year Mosrite used stamps in November ;) The body is even signed "DEE", a worker who has signed a body more than once.

The neck is from the 1971-74 era, but in my opinion not a Mark 1 (The Ventures model) neck but made for a Bluesbender or a 350. Look at the neck's heel, asymmetric, hasn't been made for a Ventures model shaped body.

Cheers,
Max

Scotstandard

Postby Scotstandard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks for the info maxkat
I could see it being a 350 neck. They had the larger fret markers too.
I found a picture of a pickguard with the same two odd holes in it. This is on a Mark VII (according to the seller)
Humbucker pickups and I think the two switches are coil tap and phase.
What do you make of the paint? I know its probably a refin but it just looks too well done. I keep thinking im going to find a picture of this guitar somewhere.

Interesting info on the stamp. I didn't know that. Here is a blue stamp in the heal pocket of a 66 ventures (body stamped 65) and the blue neck stamp on my 65 ventures
the Mark VII
I regret not the things i have done, but the gear i did not buy.
http://www.myspace.com/theonenightstandards
scotstandard@yahoo.com

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 am

Scotstandard wrote:The overspray in the neck cavity looks right for what's on top. I'm not sure if it is original but looks well done If it isn't. That's why I was posting it here. I think it might be a significant guitar in some way.

I would be very careful not to disturb anything with the guitar. It does look original in the photos, and like you say may be along lost original.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:25 am

That neck wa stamped on my 5th birthday, that's all I have to contribute.

Cool guitar though!

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:43 am

To me the paint looks original, too – but only the red part of it.
What to do depends if you like the paint on the top or not ;) If it were mine I would polish or sand that orange pattern and the black ornaments away...
The pickguard looks like belonging originally to the body, so the additional holes seem to be a later modification that may have something to do with the later added battery cavity.

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 am

Is it not a 70s Ventures type model that someone has refinished and added active electronics?

Here's another one (with the more standard dot markers on the neck) though this one has additional electronic trickery from the factory. My guess is this one had the 'standard' volume and tone and 3 way selector and then someone had added the Dimarzio branded pot and battery route in the back to serve it.

https://reverb.com/item/738345-mosrite- ... al-mosrite
Brass Rail #43
Acoustic Black Widow #BC1092
MkV #B735
Univox Hi Fliers, Tele Deluxes, Harmony Bobkats

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:21 am

There's another address of Sound Pad Music that can be found here (bottom left):

http://www.talentondisplay.com/JimmyWalker.html

If you search for that address in Google Maps you can even see a truck with a Sound Pad Music sign in streetview.
Well, the Google rating is not inspiring confidence ;)

@sumlin
I don't think so, because of the body's date and the neck's heel. Well, maybe around 1972/73 Mosrite has used a 1965 leftover body and an unused or not needed 350 or Bluesbender neck and put something together... But I think it's more likely a partsrite...

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”