The interesting case of Celebrity A0065

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

The interesting case of Celebrity A0065

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:15 pm

About a year ago I spotted this unique looking Celebrity and more recently have been contacted by the owner asking about some of its unusual features. I've collected quite a few photos of this Celebrity and it is consistent with the original Celebrities of that era except for a couple of features. The guitar is serial number A0065 so within the first few batches of Celebrities produced. It is of the mortise and tenon neck design attached with two screws, with pickup selector on the treble horn, no control plate for the knobs, and a pickguard attached in the fashion of the Gibsons and Gretsches of that era.

Serial Number is A0065

Beautiful Cherry Red with no fading and in pristine condition.

And for the fun stuff. It is obvious to me that the headstock has been modified. The original Celebrities had significantly more material above the top two tuners. The TRC looks to be a modified Gretsch TRC and not shaped like we normally see on a Mosrite.

Here is the headstock. It is my guess that this was modified at the factory during its manufacture. If it had been done after it left the factory I think it would be noticeable with the paint. I would love anyone else take on this.

1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Re: The interesting case of Celebrity A0065

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:41 am

Hi Sarah,

This looks to me like a customization by a customer. One clue is the truss rod cover has non original screws, and is not the same type of plastic that Mosrite used for that purpose. I have seen many headstocks that people cut the M off of. Some people just did not like that look for some reason. I loved it personally.

Bob

bcoop610

Postby bcoop610 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Sarah thanks for posting this. I will say the very top of the headstock does not have the same gloss as the rest of the headstock. So now i am also thinking this was a mod that was done by the customer. They did a nice job but i do also like the original headstock. There was also a re fret job done. I would like to put frets on that are the same size as the originals. Can someone tell me what size fret wire should be used that would be the same as the original low frets the Mosrites are famous for.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Bob Shade wrote:Hi Sarah,

This looks to me like a customization by a customer. One clue is the truss rod cover has non original screws, and is not the same type of plastic that Mosrite used for that purpose. I have seen many headstocks that people cut the M off of. Some people just did not like that look for some reason. I loved it personally.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. That makes perfect sense. Great catch on the screws. You know me, I like all of the headstock options. :lol:
1982 Fender Bullet

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:02 pm

I hear you Sarah!

The Mosrite fretwire that was made in the 60's was specially made for them. It was ground down to a small flat wire. The only way I know of to get it like that now is to start with small wire and file it down flat, then polish all the scratches out of the frets. Or you can take a really valuable 1963 Mosrite Ventures and pull the frets out of it, and install those on your Celeb. :shock:

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:29 pm

Bob, step away from the guitar......... :lol:
1982 Fender Bullet

jayb

Postby jayb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:50 pm

New member, just browsing and I noticed your post on the Unusual Celebrity.
Actually I just bought that same (apparently) version on Ebay from a fella in NJ. Hasn't yet arrived. It is a body and neck only, had been stripped of parts. Cherry red. Toggle switch in treble side bout. Looks like there was never a plastic plate at the controls and input. Anyway, serial number is A0250. It will be here on Monday. Will be assembling it back together with, at least for now, non original parts. Never played one before - brand new to Mosrites and their clones. Can't wait.
This is still shown on Ebay item number:401389503929 so you can see pics if you like.

Oh, and it has the 2 screw neck joint and had a bracket-attached pickguard and indicated by screw holes present.

Thank you for all the great information you provide

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”