Bob Bogle's Bass?

Picure

Bob Bogle's Bass?

Postby Picure » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:38 pm

I recently saw this up for sale. I suspect it could be Bob Bogle's bass from The Ventures because only his bass had 3 knobs and no selector switch. Or did Semie build more than one 3 knob bass? I would like to confirm this before I make the purchase because this bass is in dire need of a restoration and that is not going to be cheap.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Bob Bogle's Bass?

Postby dubtrub » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Unfortunately if that bass is restored it will totally ruin the collector value. If you want a "new bass look" I recommend looking at a Hallmark bass. It has the look, sound and feel for around $1000 USD.
Danny Ellison

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:22 pm

I agree with Danny, if it were Bob's bass a restoration would take all of the value out of it. Bob's bass was for sale in Japan not many years ago and was documented as his bass as Bob sold it to a Japanses fellow. If this one has no documents saying it is Bob's bass then it is highly doubtful it is, and would most likely be a replica of it.

Bob

Mastermold

Postby Mastermold » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 pm

I have no idea whose bass it is but it looks great to me--if you buy it don't change a thing! And yes if you refinish it any collector value is diminished. Keep the finish and everything else on it original.

Picure

Postby Picure » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Oh, when i mean restore, i mean to change the truss rod for a new one, refret and fix the electronics. No way I am changing anything esthetically. The finish will be untouched. If i am to buy a bass it must be in playable condition because I buy these basses for collection as well as for shows/recording.

Mastermold

Postby Mastermold » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Picure wrote:Oh, when i mean restore, i mean to change the truss rod for a new one, refret and fix the electronics. No way I am changing anything esthetically. The finish will be untouched. If i am to buy a bass it must be in playable condition because I buy these basses for collection as well as for shows/recording.

Cool--yeah you've got to fix the broken stuff, can't get around that. (FYI--I'm a bass player too and new to Mosrite. Just got my first one a few weeks ago and really loving it!)

Picure

Postby Picure » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Thats cool man! I play alot of pop gigs around asia and I just think it will be cool to have people see a Mosrite on stage with a pop artist, because you dont see that quite often. Haha

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Do I see suspicious-looking dents above the E-string? Reminiscent of their finale with the drum tatoo on Bob's bass... Hmmmm :shock:
Olrocknroller

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:34 pm

Does anyone have a good picture of Bob Bogel's bass?

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:41 am

Hi all,
here's the link where this bass is for sale:
http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x463144388
To me this bass looks like an 1964 bass (shape of the headstock's M-carving, location headstock logo, large "The Ventures", neck screw cover), but according to the seller there are stamps that tell the following:
- OCT 5 1965 012
- ?PR 15 196? 0028
So the neck is from October 5, 1965 and the body from April 15, 1966 (no stamps in April '65)...
Perhaps the seller has mixed something up?
Cheers,
Max

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”