Joe Maphis model I

Onward

Joe Maphis model I

Postby Onward » Sun May 22, 2016 8:37 am

I just bought one yesterday, impulsively. Too cool to pass up.

Curious about a couple details. First, is the finish nitro or poly? I only care because I want to know if I need to be ultra-careful, and not lean it against anything rubber/vinyl/etc.

Second, the serial number is D104, and the truss rod adjustment is hidden by the pickup. I've seen pictures online with a truss rod cover on the headstock, and I wonder if those were later? I'm thinking my guitar must date to 1966.

And is there any way to know if it has been re-fretted? The guitar has been played a lot, but the frets seem to be in remarkably good shape for a 50-year-old piece.

Finally, is the scale length considered 24.5 inches?

Appreciate any assistance!

panther
Top Producer

Re: Joe Maphis model I

Postby panther » Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 am

Measure the scale from leading edge of nut to the center of the saddle.
I go straight down the middle to allow for angle of saddle. I find the length is typically the above measurement plus about 1/8". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I use when positioning the bridge.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Onward

Postby Onward » Mon May 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks! I read stuff online that made me curious if Mosrite had changed the scale length. Something to do with equipment purchased from Standel. But I didn't know when that transition occurred, and if the scale went up a 1/4 inch, or down a 1/4 inch.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:11 pm

I think Mosrite used Nitro predominantly.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 pm

I have a Joe Maphis that I'm convinced had the wrong scale neck, all the bridge saddles were all the way back and it still wouldn't intonate. I'm having another neck made so we'll see if I was right.

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Fri May 27, 2016 12:57 am

@Onward
Scale length got shorter. There's a post by Ed Elliott from 2009 that tells the story:

EFElliott wrote:Hey, here's a bit of Mosrite-Standel Trivia that very few know, Maybe nobody now.
When Standel went out of business the Mosrite Scale lenth got shorter, it changed from 24.75 to 24.5. How did this happen?? Up to this point Mosrite had been cutting there fret slots one at a time on a radial-arm saw with a jig, something like you would buy from Stewart-McDonald's Guitar shop supply. Anyway, When Standel bellied-up Semie bought Standels Fret Saw Machine, It worked great! I used it a many of time, you could cut all 22 and the zero fret slot in one motion, Semie liked it so well he did'nt change a thing, not even the scale.
Like Uncle Semie use to say , Ed, that's close enough, "Run The Fire Out Of It!"
Eddy.

Here's the thread: http://mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=778&p=6831

I don't think the scale length went down a full 1/4 inch, guess it was more around 1/8"

Cheers,
Max

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”