Mosrite neck width

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Mosrite neck width

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed May 21, 2008 7:20 am

Those of you with originals and clones: I'm sure it was not your first guitar. When going from a traditional "Fender-style" nut width of 42 mm, to the Mosrite 39mm: Was there much of a adjustment for you. Any anecdotes about getting accustomed to the narrower neck would be interesting. Perhaps some of you find it actually easier/better, and now find the more traditional widths to be cumbersome. Just thought this might be interesting from the players perspective.

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite neck width

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:Those of you with originals and clones: I'm sure it was not your first guitar. When going from a traditional "Fender-style" nut width of 42 mm, to the Mosrite 39mm: Was there much of a adjustment for you. Any anecdotes about getting accustomed to the narrower neck would be interesting. Perhaps some of you find it actually easier/better, and now find the more traditional widths to be cumbersome. Just thought this might be interesting from the players perspective.

Strat-o-rama, that's a GOOD question. I've always looked at it like when you buy a new car. It's obviously going to handle and drive differently than your old one. I guess that's why it doesn't bother me one way or the other. Being an owner of more than one guitar, I just accept the different radius of necks, kind of like getting out of the Wife's Camry and getting into the Mitsubishi. They are both CARS and will drive/perform differently. I look at going from my ONE GTR, and going to another the same way. The guitars are going to "Drive" and "Perform" differently...... :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed May 21, 2008 8:27 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:Those of you with originals and clones: I'm sure it was not your first guitar. When going from a traditional "Fender-style" nut width of 42 mm, to the Mosrite 39mm: Was there much of a adjustment for you. Any anecdotes about getting accustomed to the narrower neck would be interesting. Perhaps some of you find it actually easier/better, and now find the more traditional widths to be cumbersome. Just thought this might be interesting from the players perspective.

It is not too bad for me as I have small hands. The only adjustment I needed was right after I played my Les Paul 50's neck or classical guitars. I play solo on my Mosrite so it does not bother me too much. The only tune I have a little problem (not too bad) is "House of Rising Sun" which I play chords on first 3 frets in the beginning few bars, after that soloing is fine.

Next time, I will play my banjo first then play my Mosrites :)

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed May 21, 2008 2:11 pm

I didn't find the neck width being as much of a problem to overcome as I did the fretless feel. Semie described his Mosrite necks as having speed frets. What he actually did was file the frets down to almost the fret tang, then rounded off what was left and polished them. That was OK as long as you were using heavy gauge strings and playing chords. But using light gauge strings and playing lead, my fingers would dig into the fret board when trying a string bend, which was impossible on a speed fretted Mosrite.

As for as the neck being slender and narrower than a Fender, I find that to be an interesting change. With a Mosrite in hand it makes me want to play Surf music, with a Fender it automatically feels right for Jazz or Blues. Each time I change between guitars, I usually stay with one for several weeks before changing. I definitely like having both standard and narrow width necks to break up the feel of always being the same.
Danny Ellison

siouxinjun

Postby siouxinjun » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:36 pm

New member here. I used to play in a local SoCal band; nothing special except we were able to play gigs 4 nights a week while I was in late high school and early college (1964 to 1971). I had a Fender Jaguar (supposedly from Dick Dale but thats what the salesman at Guitar Center Hollywood said in 1966). I traded it in at Dick Charles Music in Glendale, CA for the Mosrite Ventures II (blond) because of the width of the neck. I'm fairly normal sized for a 6"2" male but the smaller neck made it so much easier to play. I played both lead (1964 to 1968) and rythum (1968 to 1971) (and I can't seem to spell it right). When I got out of the band business, I traded my Mosrite in for an acoustic Martin 00028, and I've regretted it ever since. I loved that guitar, mainly because of the neck and the ease of playing it because of the neck width. Every time I pick up my son's Fender Electric it hurts because I recall all those dates playing on my Mosrite. I'd love to find it again but that's just wishful thinking.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”