Paint Codes

FriendshipMaster

Paint Codes

Postby FriendshipMaster » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:20 am

Hi guys, I'm restoring a 1966 ventures model.. I've trying to find out if there is a source for the paint codes for 60s Mosrites? Specifically the red and not the CAR but the other one.. I'm assuming they used nitro? Any insite is welcome... Thanks

FriendshipMaster

Re: Paint Codes

Postby FriendshipMaster » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:37 pm

This place is a ghost town...

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Unlike record archives for Fender using standard Dupont paint codes, I've never seen or heard of any paint codes for Mosrite, just names like Ink Blue, Sunburst, Candy apple Red etc. When I painted for Mosrite guitars in the summer of 1966, we used nitro for color coat and a catalyst poly clear coat over all colored finishes.
Danny Ellison

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:56 pm

Hey Danny,
"catalyst poly clear coat" sounds intersting – why was that coat applied instead of a clear coat of nitro? Does that mean that a Mosrite's final finish is poly lacquer? Has that method been used before 1966, too? Shouldn't that poly clear coat stay clear instead of yellowing like nitro? What's that "catalyst" thing – does it speed up the curing of the nitro coats?
Thanks and cheers
Max

FriendshipMaster

Postby FriendshipMaster » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:58 am

Whoa now this thread is cooking! Danny do you know the name of the non candy apple red that was used? Do you recall any more interesting colors you painted back in the day? Thanks

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:21 am

Sorry, I don't recall the color names. I only worked for Semie for a short time in the summer of 1966 when I returned home from the Army. I had known Semie since I was 12 years old when I built my first guitar. Although I already had a full time job working at Sears Roebuck, Semie asked me to help out in the evenings working in the paint department as their production was back logged.

The clear coat was an entirely new process for me. Obviously it's use was to speed up production. I have no idea when Mosrite started using it nor how long it's use continued. Only one coat was spray over the color coat. During my short duration with the paint department, it was only a job and I wasn't interested with the particulars. Had I known at the time the future demand for the history of Mosrite, I truly wish I would have paid more attention. With the loss of Andy Moseley and Bill Gruggett a couple of years ago, I fear most of that knowledge is now lost.

Maxkat, my '64 Ventures model does not have the poly clear coat.
Danny Ellison

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:36 am

Hey Danny,
my 65 Ventures IIs don't have that polycoat either, everything nitro, basecoat, colorcoat, clear coat.
There has been a thread on this form where a former Mosrite employee described how the Candy Apple Red finish was made, if I remember correctly, and he even wanted to describe how Pearl White has been made (what never happened).
For refinishing an April '66 Ventures bass I took the body (that was untouched in the pickup cavities) to a pigment shop to get the closest red pigment they had. The pigment is called "Permanentrot/Neutralrot B" in German.

That's how it looked when I got it:

Here's the result, nitro refinished surface, untouched original color in the cavities:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:50 am

That looks great! With modern technology, the best way to obtain the original color match is to do exactly what you did as long as there is some original color in the hidden cavities.
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Just curious. Why did you plug the original holes for the tail stop and bridge cover?
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”