Can't find one like this anywhere

otto

Can't find one like this anywhere

Postby otto » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Lady at work offering this to me - wants me to make an offer.. Sz she wants to sell it for more than the $500 she paid for it 26 years ago... bought it from an old preacher in Oklahoma. I don't know what a fair price is, and I've been through the first 30 pages of the gallery and can't find anything like it.. Anyone have any ideas?

By ottor, shot with DSC-H2 at 2008-11-25[/img]

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Can't find one like this anywhere

Postby dubtrub » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:06 am

Looks like a Mosrite Celebrity model. Unfortunately the guitar isn't all original. The front pickup (Gibson?) has been changed, the bridge is a (Gibson style) tune-o-matic, the knobs are not original the appear to be off an Ampeg amplifier. Value wise, It would probably be in the neighborhood of what she paid for it 26 years ago. These are the least desirable as collectibles. I've seen similar models go for around $650-$800 on eBay in original condition. To bring it up to original status figure, $200 (maybe more) for the pickup, $150 for the knobs, $250 for the bridge. That is you can find the 'original' replacement parts.
Danny Ellison

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:58 am

I'd like to add that although the guitar is not all original as dubtrub stated, the knobs in fact are original. Although not the Mosrite "M" knobs, it is not uncommon to find these knobs on Mosrite products from the '70s (including Fuzzrites, Celebrities, Bluesbenders, etc). My guess is they were backup stock for when they were in between runs of "M" knobs. Also, due to the string spacing, it is common to find '70s Celebrities with Gibson "harmonica" L5-S bridges. The tune-o-matic is most certainly not original, but I wouldn't be surprised if the original bridge was also a Gibson style bridge and not a Mosrite. The black plastic switch tip was also common issue on many '70s models; again, they probably used them when they ran out of the proper ones. I also agree with dubtrub's ballpark and would put this one in the $500-750 range. One final note: you never know what the neck pickup is - could be worth more than the whole guitar (as I found out a little while ago).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=534

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:22 am

As an aside, don't most Celebrity models have the controls on a second pickguard? Was that based on model (Celeb I, II, III) or was it a year by year feature?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:41 am

Yep, in the '60s once Mosrite started making their own bodies (i.e. not the earliest, prefab models), Celebrities usually had the electronics mounted on a second piece of pickguard material. The '70s Celebrities tend to have the electronics mounted directly to the body instead.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:49 am

i just wanted to add one thing, it's possible that the knobs are original. it wasn't uncommon that when semie ran out of knobs to use, he would use a generic knob, and these look similar to the acoustic black widow knobs. just a thought.
tym from tym's guitar wrote about this topic on his website if you wanted to check it out..
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:08 am

Everyone is correct from the above posts. I believe that the earliest the controls started getting
mounted flush to body itself was probably '74. I have a '73 Celebrity which does indeed have the
2nd scratch plate (P'guard) and there is a PIC of a '74 with the controls mounted on the body itself.
(Courtesy of http://www.tymguitars.com.)......
P.S. NOTE: The Control Knobs which are not the typical Mosrite Knobs....
1974 Mosrite Celebrity
Serial number 2DL094
I love the celebrity and this one with humbuckers and those great shallow 70's necks
is all you need. These are heavier and feel more solid than the 60's ones.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”