How did you fall in love with Mosrite?

Nokie
Top Producer

Re: How did you fall in love with Mosrite?

Postby Nokie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:31 pm

I was a Johnny-come-lately Ventures fan having only started collecting their records in 1980. I'd seen Mosrites in my garage bands of the early 70's but back then, I was into The Who and Zeppelin - heavy guitar groups. The old instros of the early '60's seemed very square. However, by the end of the '70's, The Who and Zeppelin were putting out what I felt were terrible albums. Punk and New Wave started to appeal to me and all of a sudden, Dick Dale and The Ventures were hip again and playing the Hollywierd clubs. I was now paying collector prices for albums that in the early '70's I was playing Frisbee with. The Ventures in particular really captured my imagination. I was more into their early Fender albums but circa 1999, a fellow band member purchased a Ventures Model Mosrite. I loved the sound of the guitar. It took another year before I acquired a Japanese made Excellent. Since then, I added 6 more Ventures Model Mosrites to my collection - three of 'em Vintage - the rest Japanese Kurikomo's from the early 2000's. -Marty

http://planktones.com/Tippens%20Mosrite.jpg

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Hi, Marty. Long time no talk. Great story.

Your website and posted articles have inspired me a lot. Notice that you use "Nokie" as pen name on tis forum, I guess you are a "Nokie Edwards" fan like me?

Now that I am in Les Vegas instead of Chicago, we are much closer distance wise. I heard you are a great guitar player especially for Ventures tunes. Hope I can hear you play some day.

:)

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Desert Surfer wrote:Hi, Marty. Long time no talk. Great story.

Your website and posted articles have inspired me a lot. Notice that you use "Nokie" as pen name on tis forum, I guess you are a "Nokie Edwards" fan like me?

Now that I am in Les Vegas instead of Chicago, we are much closer distance wise. I heard you are a great guitar player especially for Ventures tunes. Hope I can hear you play some day.

Oh yes, I love Nokie's playing and my pen name is in tribute to him. Your red Tony Hunt assembled Mosrite is gorgeous! I had a friend who had Tony Hunt assemble a sunburst side jack Ventures Model. It took a good three years to complete. It was a fantastic guitar but the slightest bit of over-spray in the paint job between the pickups bothered my discriminating friend and he sold it for good money to a guy in Hawaii. I have a picture of it here: http://planktones.com/DerelictsBack.jpg.

Ah, I see you traded in the humidity for the dry heat - good move! I'll actually be playing in Las Vegas on Sunday the 27th of this month at the 'Artifice' club with The Insect Surfers. It's instro but a fairly modern take on it - not really Ventures style. However, if you're there, I'd look forward to meeting you and I'll throw in whatever Nokie maneuvers I can fit in. -Marty

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:07 pm

"It was a fantastic guitar but the slightest bit of over-spray in the paint job between the pickups bothered my discriminating friend and he sold it for good money to a guy in Hawaii."

Is that why he's holding his right hand in that position?! :D
Scott

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:40 pm

Nokie wrote:Oh yes, I love Nokie's playing and my pen name is in tribute to him. Your red Tony Hunt assembled Mosrite is gorgeous! I had a friend who had Tony Hunt assemble a sunburst side jack Ventures Model. It took a good three years to complete. It was a fantastic guitar but the slightest bit of over-spray in the paint job between the pickups bothered my discriminating friend and he sold it for good money to a guy in Hawaii. I have a picture of it here: http://planktones.com/DerelictsBack.jpg.

Ah, I see you traded in the humidity for the dry heat - good move! I'll actually be playing in Las Vegas on Sunday the 27th of this month at the 'Artifice' club with The Insect Surfers. It's instro but a fairly modern take on it - not really Ventures style. However, if you're there, I'd look forward to meeting you and I'll throw in whatever Nokie maneuvers I can fit in. -Marty

Yeah, it is quite dry in LV. But M/C is easier to control here. In Chicago, I need both dehumidifiers and humidifiers.

I am in the south of LV and don't usually go to North LV area where you will play. We can get together when you are done with the concert.

PM sent

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:58 pm

BRRanger wrote:Is that why he's holding his right hand in that position?! :D
Scott

I think that's "Nokie" (Marty) himself. He was just pretending he could play that guitar. :D

Just joking, I heard Marty is a fantastic guitar player just second to the real Nokie E. ;)

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:17 pm

That's what I have for the vintage Mosrite guitars.

Did I ever own any Mosrite clones? Absolutely! I did and still have a few.

45 years ago, I never dared to have any thoughts of owning a Mosrite, my humble dream was just to own a cheaper Japan made Teisco guitar. But that dream was never fulfilled until 40 years later. I did not keep it too long after I started to know more about the real Mosrite guitars.

I also owned this Hallmark 60 Custom for a while. After we had decided to retire in a much smaller home, I chose just to keep one Hallmark guitar; and it is my favorite Stradette made in US by Late Bill Gruggett.

I bought this Korea made Wilson Brothers VM65 because of Don Wilson's autograph. I sold it after I got this Japan made 1996 Ventures tribute Jazzmaster with all Ventures members' autographs (unfortunately Mel Taylor died a year or two earlier, but I got Leon's autograph though)

My favorite Mosrite clone is this Japan made 2004 Aria Ventures 40th Anniversary (1st model VCM 2001), just like the one Bob Bogle used at The Ventures 45th Anniversary concert in Japan. (Although I prefer the original tremolo bar instead of the modified one)

[Watch Bob Bogle played Aria Ventures 40th Anniversary guitar here]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjLFMCj ... e=youtu.be

I had to sell the Japan made Mosrite side jack clone mentioned in this thread as well as many others guitars to accommodate the limited space of my new home. Life must go on and I had my fun. ;)

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:28 am

Nice collection, Vincent! I'm on the five year plan to down-sizing so your story of having to let go of a few guitars resonates for my not so distant future. In fact I did sell a couple of Mosrites in the last year.

When you say you prefer the original whammy bar on the red Aria 40th Anniversary guitar to the modified one, are you referring to the Jazzmaster set up they installed when they renamed them Wilson Brothers guitars or did they actually have a different bar for that guitar?
-Marty

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 am

Nokie wrote:Nice collection, Vincent! I'm on the five year plan to down-sizing so your story of having to let go of a few guitars resonates for my not so distant future. In fact I did sell a couple of Mosrites in the last year.

When you say you prefer the original whammy bar on the red Aria 40th Anniversary guitar to the modified one, are you referring to the Jazzmaster set up they installed when they renamed them Wilson Brothers guitars or did they actually have a different bar for that guitar?
-Marty

I will be on 2nd phrase of downsizing my guitar collection soon. So come to visit me and see them before I sell them. :)

For the whammy bar on Area 40th Anniversary Ventures model, I think Don Wilson might have Aria changed to JM type of whammy bar later on. I don't quite remember, the previous discussion on this topic may help.

http://www.mosriteforum.com/fortum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=711&p=22338&hilit=VCM+2001%2C+2002+Aria#p22338

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Desert Surfer wrote:
Nokie wrote:Nice collection, Vincent! I'm on the five year plan to down-sizing so your story of having to let go of a few guitars resonates for my not so distant future. In fact I did sell a couple of Mosrites in the last year.

-Marty

I will be on 2nd phrase of downsizing my guitar collection soon. So come to visit me and see them before I sell them. :)

For the whammy bar on Area 40th Anniversary Ventures model, I think Don Wilson might have Aria changed to JM type of whammy bar later on. I don't quite remember, the previous discussion on this topic may help.

http://www.mosriteforum.com/fortum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=711&p=22338&hilit=VCM+2001%2C+2002+Aria#p22338

Oh dear, further reduction, eh? Yep, I'll have to get there sooner than later. I see in the previous discussion that member JFine loved his VCM 2002 but had the usual trouble with the string angle on the Jazzmaster whammy. He said it was a slightly different JM apparatus and wouldn't accept a buzz-stop to correct the problem. I'd have to see what he was talking about as I had no trouble at all installing the buzz-stop on my VCM-2002 (evidence at this link http://www.planktones.com/PageWB2.html ). As you well know, they are great playing and sounding guitars! -Marty

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”