How did you fall in love with Mosrite?

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: How did you fall in love with Mosrite?

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:42 am

Sarah93003 wrote:......When I asked the man about it, he told me it was a Mosrite Celebrity. He told me a brief history of the Moseley brothers.

I was on a mission to get a Celebrity. This is way before eBay and Craigslist. I searched in vain for years to come up with a Celebrity. Finally in 2007 I got my first Celebrity. I have been hooked on Celebrities ever since, as you may know. :mrgreen:

I have learned a lot about Mosrite Celebrity guitars from Sarah's posted articles. And I've got myself a 1965 Celebrity III. The case is not original.

:)

StevieSTL
Valued Member

Postby StevieSTL » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:22 pm

-- Found a real nice Celebrity on Craigslist and fell in love with the necks and then the brand. It is a Stereo model, seemingly original, and very rare apparently. I was just playing it before I typed this post. Pics can be seen in an older thread of mine.
The gangster looks so frightening, with his luger in his hand
When he gets home to his children, he's a family man
But when it comes to the nitty-gritty, he can shove in his knife
Yes he really looks quite religious, he's been an outlaw all his life

jeffee

Postby jeffee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:48 pm

hey.. to answer your question. i sold my 1966 Jaguar (with dots and binding) and bought a 1959 Shasta Camper...!
so i was electric guitarless for a few months. saved my $ and got a 66 mosrite combo - same model that Buck Trent played on the Porter Wagoner TV show.. (same color too!). you can see it in my avitar pic

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:31 pm

StevieSTL wrote:-- Found a real nice Celebrity on Craigslist and fell in love with the necks and then the brand. It is a Stereo model, seemingly original, and very rare apparently. I was just playing it before I typed this post. Pics can be seen in an older thread of mine.

Yeah, it is rare. Never seen a stereo Celebrity.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:35 pm

jeffee wrote:hey.. to answer your question. i sold my 1966 Jaguar (with dots and binding) and bought a 1959 Shasta Camper...!

Smart move! I have a 1965/66 (pre CBS with pearl color case) Jaguar and have hard time selling it. :?

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Desert Surfer wrote:
Sarah93003 wrote:......When I asked the man about it, he told me it was a Mosrite Celebrity. He told me a brief history of the Moseley brothers.

I was on a mission to get a Celebrity. This is way before eBay and Craigslist. I searched in vain for years to come up with a Celebrity. Finally in 2007 I got my first Celebrity. I have been hooked on Celebrities ever since, as you may know. :mrgreen:

I have learned a lot about Mosrite Celebrity guitars from Sarah's posted articles. And I've got myself a 1965 Celebrity III. The case is not original.

so, do I have your serial number in my database? :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:56 pm

StevieSTL wrote:-- Found a real nice Celebrity on Craigslist and fell in love with the necks and then the brand. It is a Stereo model, seemingly original, and very rare apparently. I was just playing it before I typed this post. Pics can be seen in an older thread of mine.

The stereo Celebrity is indeed very rare and the only one I've seen. It is most likely a "one off" as Semie was very prone to adding customer requested features. He was also known to modify a guitar if a customer brought it in after it left the factory. This Celebrity may have been modified during the time he was building the Stereo 350. I can picture someone saying, "wow, that stereo is really cool, I wish my Celebrity was stereo". Then Semie saying. "really? Let me see that...."
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:35 pm

I researched the history of Mosrite guitars on internet and found a few people who worked with Semie Moseley at various Mosrite factories had become well known guitar luthier themselves; such as Joe Hall, Bill Gruggett and Tony Hunt. I have collected a few guitars made by them.

Here is a Mosrite guitar assembled by Tony Hunt using Mosrite parts in 1984. The guitar neck was autographed by Semie himself.

...In late June, I saw someone was selling a 1984 Mosrite guitar assembled by Tony Hunt who was a well known luthier in Arkansas. Hunt bought parts from Semie after Mosrite Jonas Ridge , NC factory's shutdown because of fire. Hunt and Moseley were good friends and Tony often helped out in Semie's North Carolina factory. (see "Walk Don't Run; Stories about The Ventures First edition, page 272)...

StevieSTL
Valued Member

Postby StevieSTL » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:00 am

Nice looking guitar! I have a Tony Hunt branded guitar "classic pro stereo" it is a great guitar, was a prototype for Gretsch, and can be seen in another topic I posted a while back. Tony is a hoot to talk to and a great guy. I have another lovely 'collaboration' guitar assembled from NOS Mosrite parts by Bill Gruggett, thanks to Adam. Shhh, don't tell anyone but he is my secret Gruggett hookup, ha. Also, I have a guitar made by Bob Venn that Bill repainted/rebranded at some point. It's like a weird psychedelic violin guitar. We should start a 'Mosrite family of luthiers' thread, that would be pretty interesting...
The gangster looks so frightening, with his luger in his hand
When he gets home to his children, he's a family man
But when it comes to the nitty-gritty, he can shove in his knife
Yes he really looks quite religious, he's been an outlaw all his life

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:03 am

StevieSTL wrote:.....We should start a 'Mosrite family of luthiers' thread, that would be pretty interesting...

Yeah, that would be a interesting topic.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”