Mosrite Sightings.

sumlin

Re: Mosrite Sightings.

Postby sumlin » Thu May 29, 2014 4:14 am

Mark Cisneros was rocking a red Combo with Kid Congo Powers when I saw them last night. Sounded absolutely perfect. One of the best shows I've ever seen (and I'm old and cranky). Go see 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1rmKjHGMwM
Brass Rail #43
Acoustic Black Widow #BC1092
MkV #B735
Univox Hi Fliers, Tele Deluxes, Harmony Bobkats

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:22 am

GTSP wrote:I noticed a GORGEOUS Celebrity in this video. I was watching this with my kids &, lo & behold, there she was. It looks just like the one I used to have & sold about a year or so ago. Why I sold that beautiful specimen is still beyond me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JwE08N-heY

That was a Celebrity-III. Sorry, a little late to this party.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:57 pm

I have done a bunch of work to Mark's red Mosrite Combo. He and Kid are both using Hallmark NU-FUZZ pedals now. I heard from Dan Moses they sound killer with both NU-FUZZ pedals on at the same time.

I want to see them myself.

Bob

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:54 am

sumlin wrote:Mark Cisneros was rocking a red Combo with Kid Congo Powers when I saw them last night. Sounded absolutely perfect. One of the best shows I've ever seen (and I'm old and cranky). Go see 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1rmKjHGMwM

Wow, that was a superb link. I can't believe, I haven't noticed that band before. I really like it!!
Very nice Combo too. I recently got my bridge-pup fixed in my 66' Maphis Model I and those guitars can sound quite the same.
What kind of work did you do on the Combo, Bob?

jkantor1312

Postby jkantor1312 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:17 am

Can someone ID this model for me, that Glen used?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwX38kRMEt4

jkantor1312

Postby jkantor1312 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:14 am

Thank you maxkat. Can you tell me how you can date it from 71/74.
It's no secret that before the Ovation sponsorship, Glen had a love affair with Mosrite...interesting that one possibility is Glen snuck in a Mosrite, during the Ovation heyday... In 92, Glen was religiously playing a Strat Plus Deluxe. I will get with Jeff Dayton and see if there is a story with this guitar... Thanks again for the ID.

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:18 pm

You're welcome!
The body shape and carving is a little more clumsy than that of the earlier Ventures models, there's binding at the neck's heel and the headstock is larger and has a different Mosrite logo. Look at my list of Ventures model serial numbers and years, there are links to pictures of all Mosrite Ventures/Mark I types – you'll see the differences:
http://hang10.de/lists/mosrite-ventures-guitar-bass-12-string-serial-numbers/

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:30 pm

El Twang! How are you these days?

What work did I do to the red Combo? Well it had an unusual crack in the heel. I have never seen a crack in the heel before, but this one did have it. So I repaired that so the tuning was stable again. Then one of the saddles was missing, and I have those, an original Kluson or two was missing, replaced those. Then all of the screws were rusty and grungy so I tool every screw out one at a time, and polished and buffed them. Or if they were so bad they would not come back to like I replaced them with NOS screws. The neck needed to be shimmed as the action was unusually high for a Mosrite. It was almost un playable condition when he brought the guitar to me. Oh, it needed a Moseley arm too which I also have in stock. Gave it a good wax and cleaning and now Mark is playing it all over with Kid.

It was a pleasure as Mark is a great guy and very talented.

Bob

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:53 am

Bob Shade wrote:El Twang! How are you these days?

What work did I do to the red Combo? Well it had an unusual crack in the heel. I have never seen a crack in the heel before, but this one did have it. So I repaired that so the tuning was stable again. Then one of the saddles was missing, and I have those, an original Kluson or two was missing, replaced those. Then all of the screws were rusty and grungy so I tool every screw out one at a time, and polished and buffed them. Or if they were so bad they would not come back to like I replaced them with NOS screws. The neck needed to be shimmed as the action was unusually high for a Mosrite. It was almost un playable condition when he brought the guitar to me. Oh, it needed a Moseley arm too which I also have in stock. Gave it a good wax and cleaning and now Mark is playing it all over with Kid.

It was a pleasure as Mark is a great guy and very talented.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks! Sounds like the Combo needed a good workover and you were the man to do the job. It sounds fantastic on that KEXP-session. I had a sunburst Combo for a short while but it was prone to feedback easily - hard to control with healthy doses of reverb. Heavy doses of reverb goes easier with the Maphis.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”