Artie's new acquisition

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Artie's new acquisition

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:20 am

Andy wrote:johnny ramone had a sunburst mark II, there is a picture on rockometer 'guitars of johnny ramone'. i remember ed roman was selling repros probably like 5 years ago. they were like 2,500 or so, it's hard to remember.
Andy

Here's the link:
http://www.rockometer.com/ramones/g_sunbv2.html
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:00 pm

For the sake of simplifying any mixup on Ventures II"s and Mark V's, can we now refer to flat slab bodied guitars as early and german carved bodies as late? And, Mark V's as what they are, Mark V's? Reading some of the posts on either of these 3 models seems pretty confusing at times and just adds to people being misinformed. Aren't we all here to help?

The early Ventures II's had the lathed, or smooth knobs, cheaper vibrato assembly, although some probably had a Moseley(have seen photos) and possibly some may have even had a Vibramute(haven't seen one), Klusons with white knobs and the smooth, narrow pickups that were not used on any other Mosrite and, a rectangular neckplate. I have never seen one or heard of one with a 1964 date. the knobs are probably why someone may mistake it for a '64. And I've never seen one with a 1966 date. They were all made in 1965 however, some may have been assembled at a later date with no serial number. I've heard at least one story of a guy that had several of them that his dad acquired from Semie in the late 60's that sat for another 25 years or so. I can't confirm this story as true, I got it from a music store in Long Beach( I think) that had a Johhny Ramone model guitar for sale back in 96-97. Ad was in vintage guitar, called and it was sold. He described the guitar to me, answered all of my questions and told me that he got it from a guy that came to the store, with this story. the guy told him he had 6 or 7 more and would sell them to him over time. I made several calls over the next few months, but nothing ever came of this, so who knows.

As anyone here knows, this is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, Mosrite to find in any condition. I searched for mine for 21 years, have contacted most of the people that have one that I know of and done as much research as possible. My guess would be that most of them probably disappeared or are still sitting in a closet somewhere. If you ever see one, you'll see that it was not exactly the high end guitar that most Mosrites are, it was built on the cheap. It is a pretty flimsy guitar and would probably disintegrate quickly if you treated it like Pete Townsend treated a Les Paul! But to me, it is the Holy Grail of guitars.

And if you want to see a sunburst one, go to http://www.rockometer.com Ians website is great, one of these days I'll get him to join this group. Photos of mine coming soon,

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:36 am

this particular model is why I fell in love with Mosrite. I'm a HUGH Ramones fan.

Here's some info, many of you all know, but some of you don't. "Mark" is the generic name for a ventures model. typically used for the ventures model, with no ventures logo. it is true that the mark v was the only guitar with the mark name, but there was models made with the ventures 2 logo and without the mark v logo as well.(the redesigned ventures 2). my guess that these would most likely be made in late 65, because I've never seen a 66 mark v model without the mark v logo, where the truss rod adjustment moved to the headstock. I think this is what probably happened, as the name gradually changed from a ventures 2, to a mark v. even the silk screen logo that reads "mark v" looks added on at the last minute.

so in a sense, to me this guitar is a ventures 2, mark 2, or mark v. the slab body version, ONLY had the ventures 2 logo. I generally call it a ventures 2 slab body.
however, these guitar were never made in '64, they were made in the spring of 65, mostly in may and june of that year, if I remember correctly. But I've heard that a few were made later on that year as well.

I would recommend going to timguitars.com.au, he knows the history of this guitar quite well.
what i'm crazy about Artie's Ventures 2 is I think the sunburst is the rarest of these models. I've seen only one other played by johnny ramone in a photo around 76.
Artie, if I ever get to front porch, we're gonna have to have a fight to the death for that guitar. :D
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 am

Also while we're comparing differences, the headstock on a "Ventures II" (slab body) is narrower than that on the "Mark II/ Mark V" with the german curve.

But none the less, the guitar in this thread is an amazing find and I'm glad to see that it's going somewhere, where it will be treated properly.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 pm

Oipunkguy had posted:
Here's some info, many of you all know, but some of you don't. "Mark" is the generic name for a ventures model. typically used for the ventures model, with no ventures logo. it is true that the mark v was the only guitar with the mark name,

Aaron, that's almost correct, however Mosrite was using the 'MARK Series Tag' on their
Celebrities and Combo's as well. Each Model had a MARK I, with a possibility of II and/or III. ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Somewhere on this forum Dennis (I think) had posted a flyer from the late 60s that depicted each guitar in the Mosrite lineup and each one was designated Mark I through Mark XII.
Danny Ellison

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 pm

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Brian wrote:Image

BRIAN, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This is even better than the one I posted sometime back as Danny had posted, for it
SHOWS that even the Ventures Model was ORIGINALLY titled a MARK I although it DID say: "the Ventures Model" ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:59 pm

cool ad guys:

Zarf, you said
The early Ventures II's had the lathed, or smooth knobs, cheaper vibrato assembly, although some probably had a Moseley(have seen photos) and possibly some may have even had a Vibramute(haven't seen one)

where did you ever see an early ventures 2 with a regular trem? there was on that was sold on ebay (this was a reproduction model) and it was made in 95. It had the made in the USA tags, like the mosrites semie was making in the early 90's. except this slab ventures 2 had a regular trem on it, it's the only one I ever saw with one. one other thing, this model was GREEN!!!

I wonder if it was a unofficial 30th anniversary model. did anyone else see this rare remake?
Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:09 pm

[i]
Aaron, that's almost correct, however Mosrite was using the 'MARK Series Tag' on their
Celebrities and Combo's as well. Each
Model had a MARK I, with a possibility of II and/or III. ;)
[/i]
see now dennis, there you go again, missing with me. lol. this crap gets confusing, thanks Semie.
from my understanding that the celebrities were named just simply celebrity I, II, or II, etc. that the joe maphis model was also called the combo I, II, etc, and the mark name was reserved for the ventures style guitar.
is there a mark name for the joe maphis double neck? perhaps a mark XVIII? maybe a double neck mosrite with an octave guitar side would also be a XVIII, but you just have to say it in a high pitch voice....
who decided the names of these guitar undoubtedly spent too much time in the spray room sniffing lacquer fuses....
:D
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”