Artie's new acquisition

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Artie's new acquisition

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:23 am

Bushers wrote:Thats the same case that I have with my early MKII, or is it Ventures II, or is it Mark V?? Cmon Dennis youre muddling things up here now!! LOL :lol: :mrgreen: :D
j/k :mrgreen:

Johnny Ramone--MARK II

Jason (Bushers)-MARK V

.....................................................DONE........ :mrgreen: ......... ;) .............
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:57 am

lol :mrgreen:
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:06 am

hey? is Artie willing to sell? cuz I'm willing to buy. thanks!
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:45 pm

oipunkguy wrote:hey? is Artie willing to sell? cuz I'm willing to buy. thanks!

Artie is now accepting Ferrari's as "Trade-Ins" for the first time at Front Porch Music....... :shock:

.......Oh...wait a second....it's not APRIL 1st yet...... :mrgreen:

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:16 pm

First of all, congratulations to Artie, very lucky acquisition. As for the confusion I'm seeing here concerning Mark II's and Mark V's, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here.

"Mark II" or Ventures II: originally had a flat slab, then german carved body, plus the obvious differences. I've never seen any Mark I or Mark II that said Mark I or Mark II on the headstock. Has anyone? Every Mark II I've ever seen, flat or carved body says Ventures Model II on the headstock.

Mark V: german carve body AND, shorter scale length. Otherwise it's the same as a german carved Ventures II. If it says Ventures Model II on the headstock, it is not a Mark V. These guitars say The Ventures Model Mark V, at least the ventures models do. These are also the only "Mark" series of guitars that say Mark anywhere on them, at least that I have seen. If there is nothing on the headstock stating the obvious between a german carved Ventures II and Mark V, just measure the scale length, the Mark V is a short scale guitar.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, there is nothing on Arties guitar that is not on every other flat slab Ventures II that I've seen, including mine. I spoke to artie about these guitars about 13 years ago and as I recall, he had never seen one other than Johnny Ramones and, he thought it was a prototype. I highly doubt it's a 64, as for being a prototype? Probably impossible to know unless it was stamped prototype. An awful lot of peoples memories can get lost or mixed up over 44 years on a guitar that was built in so few numbers, less than 200 most likely. As for not having a serial number, from what I've learned it wouldn't be the first Mosrite without a serial number.

not trying to be a nitpicking know it all here, it's just that I've seen a few threads here that seem to mix these particular models, the Ventures II and Mark V's, in a way that is incorrect. And to make thins even easier for us, Mosrite very kindly had all 3 types using a serial number that started with a B, thanks Semie! Hope this clears things up a little, I will post some photos soon, I promise. Take care,

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 pm

zarfnober had posted:
Unless I'm missing something obvious, there is nothing on Arties guitar that is not on every other flat slab Ventures II that I've seen, including mine. I spoke to artie about these guitars about 13 years ago and as I recall, he had never seen one other than Johnny Ramones and, he thought it was a prototype. I highly doubt it's a 64, as for being a prototype? Probably impossible to know unless it was stamped prototype. An awful lot of peoples memories can get lost or mixed up over 44 years on a guitar that was built in so few numbers, less than 200 most likely. As for not having a serial number, from what I've learned it wouldn't be the first Mosrite without a serial number.

I applaud that you are lucky enough to own a MARK II, but I think there might be a little difference between
yours and Artie's....do you have the small screws to hold the neck plate on, like on ALL '64's? And, is
yours SUNBURST, which was not available on the MARK II's??

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Dennis the menace wrote

....do you have the small screws to hold the neck plate on, like on ALL '64's? And, is
yours SUNBURST, which was not available on the MARK II's??

Holy cow! Only my 3rd day on this forum and I'm already getting capitalised! Yes it has the neckplate and little screws, just like A '65. No, it's not SUNBURST, it is red. I'll make a gentlemans bet that if Artie pulls the neck off of this guitar, it will have a date from 1965 stamped in the neck pocket, and on the neck. Why does he, or you, think it's a 64? didn't earlier 65 Ventures models have the lathed knobs? And a vibramute? My later 65 Ventures has a Moseley and M knobs, because changes were made. And changes were made to the later "Mark II's" and, I've seen quite a few(relatively speaking) of the carved body Ventures II and Mark V's in sunburst so, where are you getting the info that sunburst was not available on these? If you look at all the custom work Semie did, and there was a lot of it, what was to stop him from offering any color on any guitar? Sunburst was a popular color at Mosrite. I'd say Artie got a very lucky score and I repeat my gentlemans bet. If I'm wrong and it's a 64, I'll take the neck off and show you the date on mine. Fair enough?

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:50 pm

[img]v2%20013[/img]

Did this photo come through? If so, sorry for the bad quality. I will send more photos tomorrow. If this photo did not come through, how do I add photo files?

Rocco

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:56 pm

zarfnober wrote:[img]v2%20013[/img]

Did this photo come through? If so, sorry for the bad quality. I will send more photos tomorrow. If this photo did not come through, how do I add photo files?

Rocco

Go to the Off Topic section, it is explained there.
Danny Ellison

Andy

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:29 am

johnny ramone had a sunburst mark II, there is a picture on rockometer 'guitars of johnny ramone'. i remember ed roman was selling repros probably like 5 years ago. they were like 2,500 or so, it's hard to remember.
Andy

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”