New guy. Recognize this cool '65?

vibramute
Top Producer

Re: New guy. Recognize this cool '65?

Postby vibramute » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Man, I'm totally in the minority here :oops:

A Mosrite just doesn't lend itself to a hippie/half baked/psychedelic paint job, I'm sorry (JMHO). The artwork doesn't look very professional to me either. If I gave my wife some testors and brushes, she could come up with something more interesting then that. Google "Clapton Fool SG", if you want to see well thought-out psychedelia done by real artists.

Dennis may be correct, the pearl white could be original. I'd try to find a way to have all the hippie removed from that original finish.

Totally not trying to bash your guitar davek, I'd be delighted to own it, but first order of business would be to get it back to it's original glory. Does the case smell like weed? :lol: ;)

BTW....very cool Vox head, cab, and trolley...is it one of the super early Thomas Organ AC30's or one of the solid state versions?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:38 am

vibramute wrote:The artwork doesn't look very professional to me either. If I gave my wife some testors and brushes, she could come up with something more interesting then that.
I respect your opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course but Dave's Mo' isn't meant to be psychedelic looking per se, IMO. Personally, I love the artwork; it's very beautifully done and definitely a link to the past, as Dennis points out. It's provenance too can only add to it's value.
I think you're digging yourself deeper into the hole now, vibramute ;)

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:43 am

Veenture wrote:I respect your opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course but Dave's Mo' isn't meant to be psychedelic looking per se, IMO. Personally, I love the artwork; it's very beautifully done and definitely a link to the past, as Dennis points out. It's provenance too can only add to it's value.
I think you're digging yourself deeper into the hole now, vibramute ;)

I'll dig myself to the center of the earth...I maintain...it needs to be put back original! :!: Of course, I'm old school, if the owner loves it then that's all that matters...

That being said ( and provenance or not) the hippie paint scheme is hurting the value of the instrument. Unless Andy Warhol took a brush to that guitar I'd find a way to get that extra stuff off the original finish if value/collectablility is at all important to the owner.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:03 am

It may even be a custom job...if only the guitar itself could speak. BTW, Semie wasn't altogether 'square' in his guitar designs. Besides the more familiar offset body shapes, remember he designed those 'hippy' Strawberry Alarm Clocks guitars too.

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:19 am

The Strawberry Alarm Clock guitars are way more 'George Barris hotrod-ish' with all the pinstriping and candy colors then psychedelic by a long shot. Semie did try.....I just don't think hippie was ever in his DNA, :lol:

The Dutch group of artists called "The Fool" painted some very impressive psychedelic designs on various instruments in the '60's. They are most famously known for Clapton's SG, but they also did Jack Bruce's Bass VI and Lennon's J160E. Google them, it's pretty out there stuff, but really well done.

davek

Postby davek » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:25 am

You know...I never asked for anyone's opinion on refinishing the guitar.

I'm old school. I bought it because I liked it and I'm going to plug it into a fuzz tone and then into a Vox amp and play it out in my garage.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:52 am

OK, here's something out of the blue... I can't believe you have a Litter album!! I had that one, I still might somewhere.

Oh yeah, welcome and I love the guitar and amp combo too. Rock out the garage!

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 am

Welcome, Dave!

Maybe it belonged to Danny Weis (Iron Butterfly)? :D

-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:52 pm

What an awesome score, Dave!!! That's a Mosrite lettin' it's freak-flag fly! Ya gotta learn some tunes from The Ventures "Super Psychedelics" album to play on that baby. Or maybe a bit of "Fuzzy and Wild" from their Wild Things album.
-Marty

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Looks nice, The finish reminds me of the 1961 musical "Flower Drum Song"; It has the look of flowers in Japan, IMHO.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”