Questions About Purchasing & Dating late 60's Mark I ??

dagogo

Re: Questions About Purchasing & Dating late 60's Mark I ??

Postby dagogo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Well, I had a screwdriver and needle nose in hand and gave up after 30 seconds. This is not a quick fix. I think if I keep this guitar the Hallmark bridge would be the way to go.

Yes, veenture I absolutely considered the hallmark. However lately, I have been playing my hagstrom 3 a lot, and am now just a sucker for a small neck and the 1.5 nut width. I am not very crazy about the modern fender C neck shape which I read the Hallmarks are very close to. I am still interested in trying a Hallmark though. Incidentally, the price on this Mark I was $1750.

Now I will switch gears completely and post some photos of the frets. Any opinions?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:10 pm

dagogo wrote:Now I will switch gears completely and post some photos of the frets. Any opinions?

Not original.

I have a black '66 Ventures model Mark 1, I would sell close to that price range.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:35 pm

dubtrub wrote:I have a black '66 Ventures model Mark 1, I would sell close to that price range.

FWIW, I've played Danny's black '66 - it's a beaut and plays like a dream!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:07 am

dagogo wrote:I am not very crazy about the modern fender C neck shape which I read the Hallmarks are very close to.
My H60C's neck is closer to a Mosrite than a Fender's.

dagogo

Postby dagogo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:00 am

Thanks for the confirmation on the frets...just wanted to be 100% sure before I tell the seller. I am somewhat ambivalent on speed frets vs. vintage frets (which these seem to be) so initially it wasn't a deal breaker for me. When looking more closely at the guitar after taking all of those bridge photos, I started to notice the questionable quality of the fret job. A couple of the frets are actually lifting at the edges. If you look at the last photo...there is a space at the edge of the fret and the neck that I could slide a piece of paper under.

I think I will be passing on this guitar. Too many issues for too much $. I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Another good learning experience.

Danny, I'll pm you about the black '66.

Brandt

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”