Questions About Purchasing & Dating late 60's Mark I ??

dagogo

Re: Questions About Purchasing & Dating late 60's Mark I ??

Postby dagogo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:56 am

I think that's a sound theory.
Here are some close ups of the saddles...it's kind of hard to see but the saddle grooves are angled downwards and the strings contact the groove the entire length of the saddle.
I wonder of anyone else has any experience with this style bridge?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:23 am

From the picture the string saddles seem to be floating i.e. not resting on the bridge plate. If that is the case, they will behave like shock absorbers...gone is the twang :?
[edit] Are those FLATWOUND strings I see?

dagogo

Postby dagogo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:37 am

Here are some better photos...they aren't floating but maybe the contact isn't as good as it could be.
Just for kicks I called Ed Roman but they don't have any roller bridges in stock...they're $260 anyway.
I wonder if I could file the back edge of the saddle down? Doesn't seem smart but maybe it would help...I don't know..I'm probably better off just returning the guitar.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 pm

The string saddles are sitting too back behind the fulcrum point allowing the bridge to tilt back toward the vibrato. This was no doubt done trying to get the best intonation. However, buy doing so it places the bridge at an awkward position. It need to rest 90% to the bridge posts for maximum effect. Those slotted saddles are suppose to be deeper and wider towards the back with the sharp or break edge towards the front, as they already appear to be, so there is nothing wrong with that bridge. That bridge is not correct for a Mark I - Ventures model Mosrite and is a replacement, although it is of the vintage era. It was used on the slab body lesser expensive Mosrite guitars. It should work fine on your guitar and if set properly on the bridge posts it should have a slight rocking motion when the vibrato is depressed to work in conjunction with the vibrato. It was not a very good design and that is why it was only used on the lesser models. Bob Shade from Hallmark guitars, a member of this forum, has the Hallmark roller saddle bridge and it is a direct fit on the Mosrite Mark 1, if I recall correctly. It's about $200 less that what you will get from the other store. If you can get your bridge to work satisfactorily by readjusting the the saddles by moving them more to the center of the bridge, then I wouldn't recommend changing the bridge.
Danny Ellison

dagogo

Postby dagogo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Great info...thanks. :)

Just to be clear, you actually think adjusting the saddles will/might change the character of the tone?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 pm

dagogo wrote:Just to be clear, you actually think adjusting the saddles will/might change the character of the tone?

No, that alone won't change the tone unless it gives the string more clearance in the slot so that the string is only touching at the sharp front edge of the string post/saddle. Those 'v' slots look a little out of proportion to the individual string. The slot should come to a tight 'v' at the front edge. Each slot should be large enough on the back side so that the string does not touch or at least barely touch in the groove behind the front break edge as it will change the dynamics and cause a dulling sound from the string.
Danny Ellison

dagogo

Postby dagogo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Ok, I now switched gears and plugged it back it and conducted an experiment.

I played with the bridge where it originally was (tilted back towards the rear): it had the same twangless tone.

I then rocked the bridge forward (towards the neck) as much as possible: this made a pretty big difference...now I hear the slightly percussive sound and metallic twang I expect, the only problem is the there is no sustain and the strings are basically muted (kind of a big problem).

I then moved tilted the bridge it slightly back from that position: this was a pretty good balance between sustain and twang. The only problem is keeping the bridge at this position. After a few minutes of playing it naturally starts tilting backwards again. The intonation seems pretty spot on, so I'm not sure about adjusting the saddles towards the neck to move the fulcrum point forward.

If the hallmark roller bridge fits maybe that would be the best solution...this bridge seems like a big PITA.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:55 pm

The Hallmark bridge will fit right on the adjusting posts with no problems. The string spacing is just a bit wider on the Hallmark though. As long as the strings are spaced evenly running down the neck ( to the outside edges )there will be no problem. I have had my Hallmark bridge on my Mosrite and it worked great.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm

dagogo, I don't remember the price for that Mark I but have you considered buying a complete Hallmark 60 Custom instead?

juan_10
Valued Member

Postby juan_10 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:20 pm

I have the same type saddles on my mosrite ranger (in my avatar photo) ... from your photo the bridge sure looks like an original , but the non roller type .. some of the cheap end Combos have these slotted saddles as well .
From my limited experience with the Ranger , which is a modern Fillmore manufactured in China.. the bottom of the saddles had solder on them where they rested on the bridge plate so there was good contact but there were some problems .. the saddle adjusters and the 'acorn' nuts .. the acorn nuts need to be tight , but over tightening will bow the bottom of the bridge plate and the saddles will be loose, just resting on the adjuster screws.

Getting the things to sit tight on the base plate will give you nice 'twang' , but if there is the slightest bit of movement then you will lose 'twang' and sustain ... but then poor sustain is a problem anyway with this bridge design .. at least with my one it is ;-) And tightening those acorn nuts with a tiny tiny spanner will be taxing... lol

Good photos ... just thought I'd chip in. :-)

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”