Questions About Purchasing & Dating late 60's Mark I ??

dagogo

Questions About Purchasing & Dating late 60's Mark I ??

Postby dagogo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:44 am

Hi guys, after buying that combo I couldn't shake the mosrite bug and have been on the hunt. I was in the middle of a fairly smooth transaction to purchase a late 60's Mark I that has gotten a little complicated and could use some advice.

I negotiated to buy this guitar: http://www.nationwideguitars.com/1968mosritemarkI.html

We exchanged emails and lots of photos, and then yesterday, I called with a few final questions. I asked the seller if he dated the guitar from the pots and he said no, but because the headstock was painted and due to some other particulars, he believed it was a 1968/1969. I accepted this and went forward with the purchase, figuring the 1st thing I would do after receiving would be to pull the pickguard to check the date code on the pots.

Then, later in the day, I received an email from the seller saying that his tech was getting the guitar ready to ship, and pulled the pickguard to lube the pots and found that they had been replaced in the 90's with the correct CTS pots and he wanted to let me know.

So, great, I am glad he told me, but now I don't really know how to date this guitar, or how much, if any, replaced pots might affect the value of the guitar. Are there any visual clues as to the date of this guitar? It makes me a little nervous considering all the pieced together & fakes on the market.

FritzCat
Top Producer

Re: Questions About Purchasing & Dating late 60's Mark I ??

Postby FritzCat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:23 am

I don't know about the date of the guitar, but here's the things I see that may have been changed: tuners, switch, trem arm, bridge, case. It looks like a good player, and their price isn't too bad. I'm sure you also noticed where there was a sticker. I would ask about their return policy if you don't like it.

dagogo

Postby dagogo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks for the input. I knew about the tuners & case obviously.
Just curious, why do you think the bridge is non original?
I was able to get a bit off on the price and there is only a 24 hour eval/return policy but it is a little unsettling to spend this much on a guitar when you really have no idea when it was built(!)

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:40 am

I have a ''68 MK I very much like this one, with the white tuners (original), but mine has the 'kidney' shaped neck plate. That one is unusual in that it has the 3 screw, cup-washer arrangement. Interesting.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

vetovideo

Postby vetovideo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 am

Dennis ... I seem to remember something obscure about how many screws there were in the pick-guard. One year had 7 (like this one) and another year or two used 8. I can't find my reference for that but I'll keep looking. In the meantime, does yours have 7 or 8?

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 am

One year had like, 3! Mine has 7.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:35 am

All,

Here's the link in our forum that mentions screw scratchplate dates:

Mosrite Ventures model timeline and ID chart

http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29514

Moseley models (Identifying characteristics) (built from Oct/Nov 65 to mid 67)
• Moseley vibrato replaces Vibramute. (now chrome diecast unit)
• Volume and Tone knobs change to "hat type" with "M" stamped on top with V and T. (change occurred between serial # 3206-3591) (Known serial# 3205 has smooth knobs, #3592 has "M" stamped knobs)
• 1967 knobs changed again to taller units without the V and T.
Scratchplate goes to 7 attaching screws. (Known serial# 3205 has 8 screw scratchplate, #3592 has 7 screw scratchplate)
• Mid to late 1966, truss rod adjustment moved to headstock and plastic cover added. (change occurred between serial # 3732-4224)(Known serial# 3731 non-truss cover, 4225 has truss cover)
• Mosrite of California embossed on Pickups (with "R" trademark)
• V prefix added to serial number starting with 5000.
• Ventures endorsement ends, Ventures logo removed. Last Ventures logo MK I serial # falls within V5316 and V5365 (Known serial# V5315 has logo, V5366 non-logo)
• Misc info: Serial #2488 has Moseley smooth knobs and neck date Oct25th 1965
• Patent # added to Mosely Vibrato mid to late 66

Lots of interesting tidbits. :D

-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:14 pm

I mentioned the bridge because I was under the impression that Mark I's all had roller bridges, and that doesn't look like one from the pic. I could easily be wrong though.

dagogo

Postby dagogo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Hmm...I guess I wasn't looking closely enough....I thought that was a roller bridge...

Incidentally, the serial # on this guitar is V5621

Also, now that you pointed out the trem arm, the finish on the knobs seems pretty new and chromey...but that could be an illusion I suppose.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 pm

the other place I would look is in the neck pocket and pickup pockets, many Mosrites have dates there. As for some of the "oddball" features, I think they're normal. Mosrite went thru several changes as they went in and out of business, bridges and tuners obviously were used as needed with stock on hand. I wouldn't worry about pots being changed, as for pickguard screws, I don't know. but this guitar looks pretty darn original to me as far as patina, etc. is concerned.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”