Wenge Brass Rail (1978)

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Wenge Brass Rail (1978)

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Here's a prime example of forum members helping forum members. This guitar was found in the UK, and with the persistence of three forum members (coanda, stevestrings and handbrake) it has found its way home to the International House of Brass Rails. (Funny, I just got a sudden urge for pancakes...)

While my sweet tooth is in the driver's seat, if Mosrites were made of chocolate they might look something like this. This particular variety of Brass Rail is often confused for rosewood, but the body is actually made of wenge. This point is key because it is believed that the reason so few were produced was the toll the wenge took on router bits, and likely the router's operator.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Wenge Brass Rail (1978)

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:21 am

Wow, that's wild! Are those single coil pickups?

mmmmm.... pancakes.....
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:12 am

Indeed, they are single coil pancakes...err...pickups...with syrupic...I mean ceramic magnets. Whew, that was a mouthful!

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 pm

what a find Adam. i bet this guitar weights a ton, i worked on a p bass one time with a wedge wood neck, but it was unfinished. a glossy finish on wedge looks sweet. reminds me of syrup. :D
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Wow! 1978 was this made during the Sooner era?

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Nope. Brass Rails date to the New Mosrite period, 1976-1978. The Sooner was circa 1975.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Is that five ply binding on the neck? Interesting how some of the binding is under the frets but the last layer isn't.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 pm

It's four ply (bwbw) with the outermost layer of white capping the fret ends as you would expect. I suppose that would technically make the innermost three layers purfling rather than binding. It's also worth noting that the pickguard is made of the same material from which they cut the binding strips.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Most interesting. Never saw one like that....

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 pm

One more from the archives...

Semie made this particular Mosrite for his nephew, Mark Moseley, who put it to good use as a member of The Buckaroos. According to Mark, he was the only guitar player who Buck ever allowed to sling anything other than a Tele, and for good reason.

Mark's axe started life much like the one above, with two pickups and a toadstool-shaped pickguard, but soon had its electronics minimized to a single volume control, then a middle pickup added along with a custom pickguard, then a couple more swapped out and so on. I have finished reverting most of the electronics to original issue, but kept the custom three-pickup configuration because it's just too darn cool (right, Mel?)!

Special thanks go to Bob Shade, John Lackey, Reber Stein, Ed Elliott, Elaine Frizzell and of course Mark Moseley.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”