Serial number conflict

warthog50

Serial number conflict

Postby warthog50 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Maybe I asked this wrong the first time, but I really need some advice on this. I've got a Celebrity with one serial number on the neck and a different serial number on the label inside the body. Is there any chance this guitar could be original, or does this pretty much mean for certain that the neck and body didn't start life together? Thanks for any help.

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Serial number conflict

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:02 pm

warthog50 wrote:Maybe I asked this wrong the first time, but I really need some advice on this. I've got a Celebrity with one serial number on the neck and a different serial number on the label inside the body. Is there any chance this guitar could be original, or does this pretty much mean for certain that the neck and body didn't start life together? Thanks for any help.

Warthog, it could be any of number of things. Mosrite was not to 'swift' at times as far as being careful with the S/Ns. There have been known cases where S/Ns didn't even make it on some of their guitars! :shock: With your scenario, someone in the Factory might of not been paying attention to what they were doing, and stuck the wrong sticker (intended for another guitar) inside the body. Which also means somewhere out there, is another guitar with the reverse sticker in its body and and/or wrong S/N on its neck :roll: I wish I had a better answer, but just about anything is possible....... :|
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Serial number conflict

Postby dubtrub » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:00 pm

Your other post was read numerous times, but apparently no one has the answer you seek. Dennis' explanation is probably about as close as you will get. Occasionally questions will pop up, like the one I asked about the early 70's models having backwards neck plates, and no one was able to provide an explanation. Although at times Mosrite construction was done by multiple workers at a factory, other times through out Semie's life he was a one man luthier. So anything is possible. Some (or many) questions may never be answered. But it never hurts to ask.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”