Bob K's Guitar collection

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Bob K's Guitar collection

Postby Veenture » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:04 am

101Volts wrote:Um, Does this have a german carve? I think I can see it around the neck but I can't see it anywhere else.

Bushers wrote:1964 Mosrite Ventures Model #0365

I feel sure the carve is there in full but not showing clearly in this pic and on my Dell PC flatscreen. Try to scrutinise the carve area and perhaps you can notice the difference in pixel contrast, especially near the input jack area. Hope this helps -and Bob K can confirm of course!
It must be there otherwise it can't be 'rite' ;) (considering dates 'n all...). Without the carve it would remind us of the Standel Student prototype Ed Elliott was telling us about in the "Elaine Frizzell" thread earlier on. It's well worth repeating here, ...check it out!

EFElliott wrote:Gee, aint Mosrite history interesting,

Back in the day, I had quite a few conversations with Semie and Bill Gruggett about Mosrites
good ol' days, what Semie told me was Bob Crooks came to him, wanting him to build a line of
solid body Standel guitars as close as a Fender as possable without infringing on any patents.
Semie having a Strat at his shop in for repairs, grabbed it up filped it over on a piece of cardboard traced around it, added a touch of his own creative flair, wha-la, the new Standel.
Well Semie got started on the project but for some reason the deal fell through, Semie said all these guitars he started became Mosrites, probabilly why there is no Standel reverse Strat
prototype guitars out there.
But this is not batch that became the 61-62 Joe Maphis.
This is where Bill Gruggett comes in, Bill told me when he started working for Semie in 61-62, Semie was in the process of building a batch of 20 or so student guitars Shaped pretty much like a Ventures model but flat like a Fender,(the ones Semie started for Bob Crooks) the guitars had set walnut necks, sunburst finish, no german carve
no binding, no vibratos, one pickup, one piece aluminum bridge and stop tail piece.Semie liked His new design,but it wasn't quite there, so the next batch, Semie took it and cooled it up a bit with his German Carve ,added another pickup a vibrato and some binding to make it more apealing to professional guitar players, like his good buddy Joe.

Eddy

EFElliott
Top Producer

Re: Bob K's Guitar collection

Postby EFElliott » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 am

Hey there 101Volts,

That '64 defently has a German carve all a round the top, it's the lighting in the photo
that makes it hard to see. The only production Ventures modlel that did'nt have the carve
in the 60s was the first couple of hundred Ventunes II model built in early to mid 1965, Like
Johnny Ramones'

Ed Elliott

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”