Brass Rail guitars

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Re: Brass Rail guitars

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:20 pm

You mean how much of an effect would these have had were they not imaginary? Don't believe everything you read on the internets, sonny.

Adam

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:24 pm

These are very interesting guitars! I had never heard of them before I recently happened across on on eBay. How are they to play? How is the tone, etc? I think they are very neat looking! I may have to add one to my "Gotta Get" list.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:27 am

Hey Sarah -

That one you "recently happened across on eBay" is/was mine (all the way on the left in my avatar pic). Brass Rails are one of those guitars that you can't really generalize feel and tone because they are all different: different carves, different nut widths, different electronics packages (active, passive, both, mono, stereo), etc. But I'd be happy to let anyone in the LA area take a test drive - a Mosrite petting zoo of sorts. I may be selling one of my two white Brass Rails as well, so if you have a "Gotta Get" list like Sarah, drop me a line before I throw it to the wolves.

Happy 4th,
Adam

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:16 am

dorkrockrecords wrote:Hey Sarah -

That one you "recently happened across on eBay" is/was mine (all the way on the left in my avatar pic). Brass Rails are one of those guitars that you can't really generalize feel and tone because they are all different: different carves, different nut widths, different electronics packages (active, passive, both, mono, stereo), etc. But I'd be happy to let anyone in the LA area take a test drive - a Mosrite petting zoo of sorts. I may be selling one of my two white Brass Rails as well, so if you have a "Gotta Get" list like Sarah, drop me a line before I throw it to the wolves.

Happy 4th,
Adam

Adam, I would love to do that. I've wanted to play various Mosrites to see what they are all about, especially solid bodied. I live in Ventura so I'm not far away. In fact, I work in Westlake Village which is even closer. I'll PM you.
1982 Fender Bullet

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:22 pm

When I saw your brass rail on the bay I almost jumped out of my seat. I would have bought it myself if I had the spending power at the time, Oh well. Perhaps I'll get lucky in the future and buy a Brass Rail of my own, Hopefully a deluxe model. (Boy am I dreaming!) :lol:
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:19 pm

I have a question about the frets on a Brass Rail. Are they tall like on a Bluesbender or short like on most Mosrite guitars?

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:45 pm

101Volts wrote:I have a question about the frets on a Brass Rail. Are they tall like on a Bluesbender or short like on most Mosrite guitars?

I wouldn't call them "tall," but they are not the '60s speed frets. They are larger '70s stock, wide and flat.

The Jester

Postby The Jester » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:55 am

I didn't sell the Bras Rail. I removed the listing and felt I should see if I can resolve my financial troubles without resorting to a sale. I think at some point I would probably have to sell it, though I don't really want to.
As for the sound? It is hard to describe but I think it is fair to say that the Brass Rail I have is a real all-rounder. For one thing, the bridge pickup is actually very bright, and you can get that great country twang, and with a bit of distortion, the guitar gets mega growly, so it is great for punk. When both pickups are used together, you get more of a classic Mosrite sound, bright, full, and very pre-eminent in a band sound. It is excellent for surf actually. In fact, one of the things which makes it really special is that it has humbuckers that are perhaps the most brilliant pick-ups ever put together. It is warm, but it is mega bright, and this means, when the guitar is played with only the neck pickup, it is perfect for jazz, and classical. Very few electric guitars, at least in my view, sound good when classical music is played, but this one is a real winner because it has decent sustain, flat frets which means you can glide effortlessly and it has a beautiful warm tone. I actually think the sound is powerful enough for this to be used in a metal band too, which would have all the bases covered as far as I am concerned. I think I may have to try that out and report back, but lets just say this. If I had to go on stage and perform music from very different musical genres, and I could only take one guitar with me, it would be this, and no matter how much people rave about certain guitar, I have played my fair share, but there are not many solid body electric guitars that can be the panacea to any musical malady. Every Brass Rail is probably different, but that is what makes these guitars exciting because no matter what you will get, and whatever you will be able to coax out of it, it would probably exceed your expectations because these guitars are just so well crafted and worth their vintage price tags. For mine, the Moseley tail piece actually helps in creating a beautiful metallic contrast to its deep woody tone, and I feel that helps bring a very full sound. Every note is defined, and clear. The pickups are loud too, so with a decent tube amp, this will help raise the roof. I will, at some point, when I get an opportunity, post some videos of playing it because I think this instrument needs to be heard. I have to admit, design-wise, I prefer the look of the Ranger, Mark 1, and the classic Mosrite models, but if this Brass Rail gives me anything to go with, I would say these are far more versatile and ave a broader palette of sounds.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:05 am

My lucky day! All the stars in the heavens must have been in alignment on Thursday as I finally got to visit Adam and see his brass rails in person. I made a run to LAX to drop my boss off for a flight and had the time to make a slight detour and go to Adam's place. In Los Angeles, a slight detour of 12 miles still takes over half an hour to get there!

Anyway, Adam was very gracious and brought out his extensive collection of guitars. I'll tell you it is pretty cool to see guitars in photographs and then to actually see them in person and get to play them, what a treat! I've been intrigued with the brass rail guitars ever since I learned about them on this forum. I really love the uniqueness of them. They are heavy, but I could live with that. The playability and tones are awesome! I have no doubt that I will own one some day. I also got to play a Bluesbender and the Gruggett guitar. Way cool! The Bluesbender is a really neat guitar in it's own right. I would love to have one of them as well. Am I obsessed with guitars? I don't think so, I just need lots of variety. My friends think I have too many, but you know, each one is very different from the other, so I justify it that way.

Aside from Mosrite and Gruggett, did anyone else make brass rail guitars? Any idea how many Mosrite brass rails were made? Were they only made in 1976? I know, lots of questions, but I'd sure like to know more about these very unique guitars!

Adam, thank you so much for letting stop by and see your marvelous collection!
1982 Fender Bullet

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:16 am

Sarah, With a conversation like that sometimes I think an extensive collection of Mosrite guitars is all I may ever need for all the tones I'll ever want and rightfully so, There are a lot of different ones out there. Anyway, Adam will be able to explain it to you better but from what I heard there aren't many Brass Rail guitars. There are at least 80 of them, Maybe up to 100. I'm not sure if that counts the twelve deluxe models or not.

Austin

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”