Brass Rail guitars

arpsum

Brass Rail guitars

Postby arpsum » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:35 pm

As Hollywood Music Stores asked Semie to make many guitars in 1976, Semie asked Bill Gruggett to join again to Mosrite. Semie maily built the reissue model of 'V-1' at that time, he tried to develop the guitars with new concept. 'Brass Rail' guitar was the one of those new models. I've recognized Brass Rail was Semie's own idea, but recently I found Brass Rail guitar with different brand. Who developed the concept of Brass Rail in the middle of 1970s'? Not Semie Moseley but Bill Gruggett?

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Brass Rail guitars

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:20 pm

arpsum wrote:As Hollywood Music Stores asked Semie to make many guitars in 1976, Semie asked Bill Gruggett to join again to Mosrite. Semie maily built the reissue model of 'V-1' at that time, he tried to develop the guitars with new concept. 'Brass Rail' guitar was the one of those new models. I've recognized Brass Rail was Semie's own idea, but recently I found Brass Rail guitar with different brand. Who developed the concept of Brass Rail in the middle of 1970s'? Not Semie Moseley but Bill Gruggett?

Arpsum,
I had always heard that Semie was "working on a New Guitar with more sustain" when he was contacted by Mr. Hero (not sure of spelling) from Hollywood Music Store. You say you found a Brass Rail with a different brand? Are you referring to a different name on the Headstock? Do you by chance have a picture of the guitar, because that would be a first as far as I know ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:08 pm

We have an expert here on our Forum; "dorkrockrecords" who has the most extensive brass rail guitars I have ever seen. I am waiting for Adam's inputs.... :D

Thanks, Adam for your photos. Look forward to your stories... :P

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:51 pm

My ears are burning! I'm going to have to keep this post brief for the moment, but I'm sure I can dig up some Brass Rail stories in the future. But to answer one of the questions thrown out there - yes, Brass Rails came in all sorts of shapes and sizes and brands.

Exhibit 1: Five Mosrites & One Gospel

Exhibit 2: Early Gruggett

Exhibit 3: '80s Gruggett Doubleneck

Cheers,
Adam

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:20 pm

Adam,
That was fantastic!! We knew you'd come through on this! ;) But, in sequence to your pix, I guess that also answers the question who ORIGINALLY designed the Brass Rail. Bill Gruggett had some nice designs, but the parts alone DEFINITELY LEANED more towards the Gibson in later years....

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:12 am

Very cool collection!

In my lifetime I've only seen one brass rail guitar right in front of me and here you must have half of the total in the world.

arpsum

Postby arpsum » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 pm

Adam, I've been waiting for your posting. I'm so happy to see your collection again. Please remember 'German Curve', it wasn't his own idea but Roger Rossmeisl's. And what do you think of Vibramute? This is only my guess, Vibramute seems to be an imitation of Bigsby's unit. In fact, Semie worked at Bigsby in a short period before establishing Mosrite, and he was driven out when he visited Bigsby's office after establishing Mosrite. What happened between Paul and Semie? In 1962, Semie tried to make 25pcs of prototype units for Guild in spite of the delivery results of Bigsby, and to make matters worse, both of vibrato units were so similar. Then who designed Brass Rail? Bill only knows the truth about it.

Dennis, the owner of Hollywood Music Store is Japanese. His name is 'Hiro Misawa', he is still alive in Japan but he runs different business now. I tried to contact to him in the past, but it seemed he didn't want to remember Hollywood Music Store.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Hiro! That's it! I knew the spelling was wrong,
but could not remember the correct spelling....
Thanks Arpsum ;) .

The Jester

Postby The Jester » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:55 am

Hi,

Just to add to this post.

I have a Mosrite Brass Rail, 100% genuine, with a Moseley tailpiece, the New Mosrite of 1976 headtock and humbuckers. I have never seen any other example with a Moseley bridge. Does anyon else know if this was genuine. I also mentioned this guitar in a separate new post, but with the chked paint, vintage, aged parts, and authentication from a very reputable London guitar shop, there is no doubt about it being a real Mosrite. The question, of course, is whether the bridge was added later, or if it is the orignal piece. In the photograph featuring the above collection there are similar models and it does look like the black guitars on the right. However, its pickup selector and button to engage the electronics is situated between the volume/tone controls, unlike any of the examples above. The guitar shop from where I bought it consider it to be 100% original. Does anyone have an opinion on the tailpiece?

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:34 am

Have you got any pics? Also, pop by the introduction section and introduce yourself!! :D
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”