Celebrity 3 bass???...[with pictures]

drbassman

Celebrity 3 bass???...[with pictures]

Postby drbassman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:38 am

.....and then I found you folks here! I'm primarily a Gibson/Gretsch collector/restorer, but I've always wanted a hollow body Mosrite bass. I'm a big fan of short scale hollow bodies. I didn't do a lot of homework on this particular model before buying this from Andy, but I've followed most Mosrite bass auctions for a couple years to see what's up with the brand.

I've searched all of the Mosrite history sites, but not a lot is available about celebrity basses that I could find. Here's what I've got: serial # Z-0195A on the orange tag inside and matching on the neck. The pots are ancient and don't look like they've been tampered with. I'll take the neck off tonight and check out the pocket as it looks like there's a fair amount of clearance on either side of the neck, not a tight fit, but there could have been some shrinkage over time. It's in pretty good shape for its age, a few of the typical poly finish cracks, but structurally sound all the way around.

Now for the best part. I thought it was a 30" scale, but low and behold, it's a 24.5" scale!!! I had no clue there were smaller scales from Mosrite. Now, I'm not concerned, just surprised. I know Airline made a bunch of super short scales like this. So, is this legit? I haven't found any info online yet.

My next target will be a solid body Mosrite bass!

Thanks,
Bill

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: I bought the Celebrity 3 bass on eBay.........

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:56 am

Welcome, Bill

I am not a bass player but have two (hope to learn someday); one is Ventures Tribute Jazz Bass and other Rickenbacker 4003. all solidbody.

I also love to play / collect guitars. Love Gretsch hollow body (just sold two of mine last week; '60 & '61 vintage Tennessean, :cry: )

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:18 am

Thanks for the note. Yeah, I've got a bunch of Gibsons and a new Gretsch Thunder Jet short scale and a 6072 RI. Love 'em both.

I'm looking forward to playing this Mosrite, it's just so funky with this short short scale! I'll have some time tonight at home to plug and play. I have a friend restoring a Univox solid body Mosrite bass copy and I've become interested in the vintage Mosrite solid bodies as well. I'll be on the look out for a good deal on one of those too.

How does Mosrite date their basses in the serial number? Is there any method for figuring out the year?

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:44 am

Check this link out and you should be able to find your answer. If not, there are a lot experts (except me) here can help you.

http://www.tymguitars.com.au/mosriteinfo_serials.html

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:49 am

Desert Surfer wrote:Check this link out and you should be able to find your answer. If not, there are a lot experts (except me) here can help you.

http://www.tymguitars.com.au/mosriteinfo_serials.html

thanks, I did find that one and sent him an email already. I hope someone here can provide some info.

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 am

Hey folks, any chance this is a tenor guitar strung up like a bass??? Or is this some sort of frankenbass someone jerry rigged together? I'm feeling a bit hosed right now as the pieces to the puzzle aren't adding up properly!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 am

It definitely seems to be quite different than a regular Mosrite bass scale length. You say you purchased it from Andy? If you are referring to Andy Moseley, he is Semie Moseley's brother and should have all the information on this guitar. Didn't he explain what it was when you bought it?

Regarding Mosrite basses, this is a new forum, just reached three months since it started, and so far there has been minimal input regarding Mosrite Basses. Hopefully you will be able to research this and provide the rest of us with your findings. We are trying as hard as we can and as fast as we can to accumulate as much information as possible about each and every model of the Mosrite fame. So your input and findings will be invaluable. Pix would be nice if you can.

Also, if you would, please stop be the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself. It's always nice to have new Mosrite enthusiast join us here on the forum.
Danny Ellison

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks for the note. I didn't realize Andy was Semi's brother! I did buy it from him off eBay and I've asked him for more details. I'll wait to see what he says. It's really a conundrum. It could be legitimate if it came from the factory this way. Either way, I'm not sure how functional a 24.5" bass might be as I do play most of the basses in my collection. I'm certain that the body, electronics and hardware are genuine. The 24.5" neck is another issue, it's so odd.

I'll stop by and let you all know more about me.

drbassman

Re: I bought the Celebrity 3 bass on eBay...[pictures added]

Postby drbassman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 am

Here are some pics of the suspect........

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Celebrity 3 bass???...[with pictures]

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing this on eBay. Good score.

Being that you bought it from Andy, I'd say it is legit. He is now in his 70's and is selling off various items he's kept from when the Mosrite factory here in Bakersfield CA, went belly up back in the mid 60's. If you don't get a response back from Andy, I would suggest you contact Artie Neisen at Front Porch Music, (661) 325-7161. Artie has an extensive Mosrite collection and knows just about everything imaginable about all models of Mosrite's.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”