Administrator

Re: Never played a Mosrite

Postby dubtrub » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:07 pm

Zak, how in the heck do you capture a still picture off YouTube? :shock:
Danny Ellison

zak

Postby zak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 pm

There should be a button on your keyboard that says "Print Screen/Sys Rq" - hold down the "ALT" key while you press it, that puts whatever is onscreen on your clipboard.

Then go to Photoshop or any other photoediting software you happen to use, open a "new file" and then "paste" the screenshot ("CTRL"+"V") and there you have it.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:31 pm

OK. I was wrong. Sorry 64Sunburst.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:41 pm

zak wrote:
Desert Surfer wrote:Most of The Ventures members played their guitars in middle postion

In the '66 japanese footage Nokie's pickup selector is visibly in the bridge pickup position throughout the entire show, and he's got the bridge pickup tone, too.
To me, the live stuff is the definitive Ventures sound...infinitely more so than the studio recordings.

The japanese Ventures cover band "M-Ventures" who go to great lengths to replicate the original '66 sound do it that way as well, and I am willing to bet those guys REALLY did their homework...

Vincent, you were not wrong as far as the middle position goes for Rhythm Guitar.
But, Zak is right as far as Nokie was NOTORIOUS (actually a good thing) for using the Bridge Pickup, whether he was on the Jazzmaster (after switching places with Bogle), or after they all switched to the Mosrites (Nokie is responsible for that too). True, Don Wilson preferred the middle position for both P'ups (J.M. or 'Mo"), although Bob Bogle preferred the Neck Position on the Jazzmaster when he was playing Lead. But that type of sound along with the old songs they were recording during their early days, would of turned me off to the Ventures had I had not first heard Nokie w/the Mosrite and the Driving Midrange tone he got when he was on Lead Guitar. My older cousins who are 5 to 10 years older than me, gave me a bunch of Ventures Albums. To this day, now that I have matured musically, WDR '64 still shows the Ventures at their Prime, although there were more Albums in that era as well that showed they were not to be joked at as a Band.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

zak

Postby zak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Desert Surfer wrote:I was wrong.

My comment about the bridge pickup being used refers only to the '66 Japanese footage...it would make perfect sense that they'd use the "both pickups" setting in the studio, since it is hum canceling. However I find that through a brownface Fender amp at stage volume, the "middle" setting is a little more polite than what I hear from Nokie on the Live In Japan '66 record.

Dennisthe Menace wrote:But that type of sound along with the old songs they were recording during their early days, would of turned me off to the Ventures had I had not first heard Nokie w/the Mosrite and the Driving Midrange tone he got when he was on Lead Guitar.

Yeah! That tone (and of course the hyperactive phrasing of Nokie's leads) is one of thee coolest guitar sounds out there!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Thanks Zak,

I just got off the phone with my son and he was explaining it exactly the way you showed. Now it make sense with you photo's and your post will be good future reference.
Danny Ellison

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:09 am

That Nokie primarily played on the bridge pickup makes sense to me. I have that video of the M-Ventures and never thought to look at it in detail. Man, you guys really know your Venture/Mosrite facts. Thanks for the info - I'm learning a lot here.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”