headstock/neck colors?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

headstock/neck colors?

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:39 am

I know that Fender did matching custom color headstocks, and Mosrite sunbursts had painted necks/headstocks. Did any non-sunburst Mosrites have painted necks/headstocks, or where they all finished in clear? I've seen black Ventures models with black headstocks but I don't know if that was stock.
Also, is there a timeline for the neck finishes on the sunburst guitars? I know the earliest Ventures models have sunburst on the headstock, then the headstock is black and the neck and sides of the headstock are sunburst, then sometime after the Ventures deal the headstock is sunburst again but with a different Mosrite logo.
Hmmm...
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Re: headstock/neck colors?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:52 pm

MWaldorf wrote:I know that Fender did matching custom color headstocks, and Mosrite sunbursts had painted necks/headstocks. Did any non-sunburst Mosrites have painted necks/headstocks, or where they all finished in clear? I've seen black Ventures models with black headstocks but I don't know if that was stock.
Also, is there a timeline for the neck finishes on the sunburst guitars? I know the earliest Ventures models have sunburst on the headstock, then the headstock is black and the neck and sides of the headstock are sunburst, then sometime after the Ventures deal the headstock is sunburst again but with a different Mosrite logo.
Hmmm...

Mel,
Yes, I believe the majority of the '63s Headstocks were finished to match the color of the body. Sometime near the end of '63-early '64, Semie started going towars the natural finish on the Headstock, except for the Sunbursts. However, it seems he would still do a special order or his famous 'one-offs' when he got the bug to do so. I have a very early '66 Combo w/transparent Blueburst w/matching H'stock,but the back of the neck is finished innatural. There's a member over on Surfguitar101 by the name of Kawentzmann who I think he said his was a '67 Red Combo. He too, has a matching headstock, but finished clear on the back. I don't know if that might of been an option back then, but I know that there are 2 of these that exist. After the Ventures deal fell through, when Semie got the company up and running again, he started 'bursting the front of the H'stock again around '71. But you are right in the different size logo. It also said in small script "by Semie Moseley" made in the u.s.a.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”