Just played this '65 Mark 1

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Just played this '65 Mark 1

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:52 am

ElTwang wrote:Dennis - serial number is: 561876 (there is no 'Made in the USA').

I had the tuners changed but still have the originals. You are correct about the headstock. It's also covered with some sort of clear coat. There's some sort of balck paint on the pups (in a few places..) as well as the bridge. I have never seen this guitar opened up.

I've been to a few shops with it and all agree that these mods can be undone quite easily. What does 'Volute' mean?

Lars, the Volute is that "hump" on the back of the Headstock that Gibson started using in late '69-early '70 to correct all of their Headstocks that were breaking, probably due to the wrong angle of the headstock creating so much stress, that if their guitar fell off a stand, 90% of the time, stood a good chance of the H.stock breaking. Why they quit doing that after '84 still has a lot of people wandering why. I looked all over the internet for a pic and finally gave up. But Semie incorporated it as well in the Mosrites from almost day one. Now that I think of it, when was the last time you heard about a Mosrite with a busted Headstock? :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:12 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Now that I think of it, when was the last time you heard about a Mosrite with a busted Headstock? :mrgreen:

That's because Mosrite necks are made out Hard Rock Maple, whereas Gibson's are made of Mahogany. The tight wood grain of Maple is 10 times less likely to less like to break than Mahogany.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ ... deview.jpg
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:27 am

dubtrub wrote:
Dennisthe Menace wrote:Now that I think of it, when was the last time you heard about a Mosrite with a busted Headstock? :mrgreen:

That's because Mosrite necks are made out Hard Rock Maple, whereas Gibson's are made of Mahogany. The tight wood grain of Maple is 10 times less likely to less like to break than Mahogany.

Lars, the 'so-called Hump' is on the left side of this pic.
Thanks Danny for the pic, I was so busy looking for a Gibson Headstock w/a Volute, I didn't even think about using a Mosrite as an example. ;)

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:20 am

Here's a quick snapshot taken with my mobile. Doesn't look like a hump to me.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:25 am

My 5k offer for the Mosrite has been rejected and the guitar is now priced at 6747$. Again, remember you can't really compare Euro prices to US.

Dennis - you seem curious about the SG...what's up? ;)
When I bought it in 1996 I was told it was a 1966 model. But that doesn't add up with any of the info I can find on the guitar. And the S/N# search says it's a 1969.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:32 am

ElTwang wrote:Here's a quick snapshot taken with my mobile. Doesn't look like a hump to me.

OK, Yeah, you do not have the Volute which definitely dates it a pre '70, but that's OK,
'cause you have everybody looking for 50s and 60s guitars, and your guitar is in that ballpark. :mrgreen:
No, I was just curious about some of the other features on your guitar. You said you were
not to sure, but it's definitely a pre- 70. ;)

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”