Just played this '65 Mark 1

ElTwang
Top Producer

Just played this '65 Mark 1

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:56 am

http://www.kmcmusik.dk/public/sider/vare_se.php?ID_vare=212

Asking price is 8247$ :shock:

The guitar is all original and very worn. This one has been played a lot! It was a first for me playing a vintage Mosrite Mark 1 and I must say after half an hour it really started to make sense. Sounds really really GOOD! Has that woody, but twangy, vintage sound guitars get through years and years of use.

I was surprised how narrow the fretboard is - would take me some time to get used to - I found it difficult to fingerpick compared to my Gretsch.

How many '65 Mark 1s were aprox. made? The dealer said he heard around 270 somewhere.

Ok, gotta go and look for 8000$ in the corner and underneath the sofa. Or can anybody on this forum sponsor this guitar for me :D

Angler87

Re: Just played this '65 Mark 1

Postby Angler87 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:22 am

There were definitely more than 270 Mosrite Ventures models made in 1965. I can't say I have a good estimation of how many they made during that year, but 1965-1967 were the peak production years at Mosrite.

Was it a vibramute?

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:53 am

Angler87 wrote:There were definitely more than 270 Mosrite Ventures models made in 1965. I can't say I have a good estimation of how many they made during that year, but 1965-1967 were the peak production years at Mosrite.

Was it a vibramute?

Thought so too ;-)

It was a Moseley. What does that say and indicate?

Angler87

Postby Angler87 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:25 pm

If it had a Vibramute tailpiece it would command a bit more than a Moseley (like 1-2k more)

Still, the book value of a 1965 Ventures with a Moseley tailpiece is only like 4k. Thats just European prices I guess.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Ok - what's the difference between the two?

With vintage guitars it's quite the norm with the US prices times 1.5 or 2. Another reason why we all should travel to the US and have a vacation and buy ourselves a cool vintage guitar for the same price as it would command in Europe.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:56 am

Ok vintage Mosrite experts. Please help out here:

I went back to the shop today to see if I could trade-in some guitars for the Mosrite. There's a fair chance I can work something out.

I took a closer look and got my doubts this was a 1965 model.

It doesn't have the V and T symbols on the knobs. It's the M stamped knobs.
There's no serialnumber on the 22nd fret or any fret. What's up with that?
And it has the Mosely tailpiece on it (all silver and not black as found on the Vibramute Mosrite logo).

To me this looked more like a 1966/67 and when we called the private seller he confirmed it - he was informed early '66.

The price went down 850$ right away. I'm not a vintage snob but I really want to make sure about all this before doing anything. So will the shop and seller, btw.

Anyone?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:33 am

Lars,

Does it have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock and could it be that the stamped in serial number has become very faint and hard to read, maybe from moisture etc.? Look real close in bright light at the fret board. Some evidence of stamping should be there.

Has the guitar been refinished? If it has never been refinished then asked the owner to remove the neck. If it is a real Mosrite it will have the date stamped in the neck pocket and on the bottom of the neck. The front pickup will need to be removed to take off the neck, other wise the guitar could be damaged in the process.

Remove the pickguard and see if it matches the wiring as depicted in the photo's I recently posted in another topic. If it hasn't been covered by solder, there should be some type of code stamped on the potentiometer's that would provide a date of manufacture. Although this isn't always the case, depending on the brand of pots used. However, it should definitely have the large round ceramic .05 disc capacitor.

What you want to be careful of, is ensuring that it is a true Mosrite made in the USA. Otherwise you will be paying collector's price for something that is not really a vintage collectible.
Danny Ellison

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:46 am

Cheers Danny!!, I knew I could count on you :-).

I'll have to check again regarding the truss rod adjustment. From memory I'd say it isn't at the headstock.

The most interesting part is that I'm very certain there's NO serial number, or have been. Maybe it's due to moist and we'll have to do what you suggest to check again. What if the neck has had a reset?

Do you have a link to the thread you are refering to?

All in all, I must say this instrument feels and looks like the real thing. Maybe I should hope it isn't because that would take the price way down and it sure sounds excellent ;-).

thanks,
Lars

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:47 am

...and I'm sure the guitar hasn't been refinished, BTW.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:34 am

The lack of serial number would worry me. I doubt seriously if Semie would let a replacement neck out the door without a serial number. With out the serial number, I'd have to pop the neck off to see if there is a date stamp in the places I mentioned. If not, I'd pass. Unless, it was priced similar to a made in Japan Mosrite copy. Can you take some decent photographs front, back and some close up shots?

Here's some links for reference:

neck pocket serial number

photo's of pots & cap

If it has the truss rod adjustment is at the headstock it should be shaped exactly like :arrow: this in the color black.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”