Celebrity Roll Call

JimPage
Top Producer

Re: Celebrity Roll Call

Postby JimPage » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:19 am

Reber wrote:
>>That guitar is all over the place . . .

It's like a cheap suit!!! But it may turn out to be affordable and then it would give me a chance to see how I take to the speed frets.

I wonder why the neck isn't bound. I don't recall ever seeing an unbound Mosrite neck before.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 pm

JimPage wrote:...I am bidding on an ugly duckling Celebrity on eBay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... CA:US:1123
It sure needs work and the case is a chipboard one, but what can I do? "No bucks; no Buck Rogers."

Anyway, please wish me luck and any educated guesses as to what the year and exact Celebrity this is will be appreciated.

--Jim

Here's wishing you luck then Jim...and maybe you just happen to have someone in your circle of friends who knows something about restoring/fixing/refinishing guitars...heh heh ;)

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Paul wrote:
>>maybe you just happen to have someone in your circle of friends who knows
>>something about restoring/fixing/refinishing guitars . . .

Yep; this would be in the nature of a test for him. Think of it as a pop quiz with strings.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:24 pm

JimPage wrote:Reber wrote:

It's like a cheap suit!!! But it may turn out to be affordable and then it would give me a chance to see how I take to the speed frets.

I wonder why the neck isn't bound. I don't recall ever seeing an unbound Mosrite neck before.

--Jim

I think the vast majority of the Celebrity's that I have seen did not have a bound neck. I've only seen one that was bound and I think it was a later model.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Sarah93003 wrote:
I think the vast majority of the Celebrity's that I have seen did not have a bound neck. I've only seen one that was bound and I think it was a later model.
I have three different Celebrity models--all of which have neck and f-hole binding. I do intend to post pictures, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Here are some pics from earlier discussions.
Image Image

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Sarah93003 wrote:

--Jim

As Sarah had mentioned, the 'vast majority' of the CE-IIIs from the 60s did not have the binding on the necks, as to where the 70s Models did.
But what caught my attention, was that this guitar is a refin (maybe from sometime back?). Where the seller says the 'back is lifting' is nothing
more than the 'stress areas' separating from the binding under the refin, because ALL the Bodies DID HAVE Binding on the Bodies..... ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:21 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:
Sarah93003 wrote:

--Jim

As Sarah had mentioned, the 'vast majority' of the CE-IIIs from the 60s did not have the binding on the necks, as to where the 70s Models did.
But what caught my attention, was that this guitar is a refin (maybe from sometime back?). Where the seller says the 'back is lifting' is nothing
more than the 'stress areas' separating from the binding under the refin, because ALL the Bodies DID HAVE Binding on the Bodies..... ;)

Yep, most of the Celebrities that I have seen are from the 1960's. The F holes and body of mine is bound, FYI.
1982 Fender Bullet

TimR
Valued Member

Postby TimR » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:57 pm

This was my "M" stable back in the mid 90's. Sorry to say only the Bluesbender remains.
But I thought someone might like to see a Celebrity bass. I picked it up at a lttle music store in El Cajon, Ca., for $150.00. Around '98 or so, I stuck it on ebay -it went for around $500.00. It was a cool little short scale bass

Tim

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:38 pm

TimR wrote:http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/manzanitakid/Top-3.jpg

This was my "M" stable back in the mid 90's. Sorry to say only the Bluesbender remains.
But I thought someone might like to see a Celebrity bass. I picked it up at a lttle music store in El Cajon, Ca., for $150.00. Around '98 or so, I stuck it on ebay -it went for around $500.00. It was a cool little short scale bass

Tim

That bass would match my Celebrity III. I would love to get on some day as well as a 12 string and have the three as a matched set. :D
1982 Fender Bullet

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:00 am

I've looked at the photos of this particular Celebrity on eBay and there are a lot of things that bother me about it. There are things that make me think it may not be the genuine article at all. I am not an expert on Celebrities by any stretch of the imagination, but I think this guitar may be a fake and here is why.

1. On the back of the headstock are 3X3 tuners. I have only seen Kluson tuners on Celebrities and they are the individual kind. So, that makes me think these tuners were added later. Plus, they are very shiny. And, if that is the case, where are the holes from the original Kluson tuners?

2. The neck, specifically the headstock and back, look too perfect. For a "vintage" guitar, the wood on this neck looks fairly new. In other words, it does not show any of the aging that the body shows.

3. The F holes are not bound. All Celebrities that I have seen have bound F holes.

4. The body is not bound. All of the Celebrities that I have seen have binding on the body.

5. The bridge is not original.

6. The knobs are not original.

7. I contacted the seller when this one first appeared on eBay and asked for the serial number or a picture of the fretboard where it attaches. He kept telling me there was no serial number. Eventually he came up with the serial number he said is stamped into the neck. It is ST048. I don't see this serial number series any where on the internet. It makes me think that someone just made it up.

There are so many things wrong with this guitar I would only buy it if it was cheap and I wanted to do some sort of project of it. I don't think it has the potential of being anything other than that.

That's just my two cents worth and I could be totally wrong about this.
1982 Fender Bullet

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”