Mosrite humbuckers?

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite humbuckers?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:57 pm

dubtrub wrote:Dennis,

I believe ziggy00 is just an internet spook or hack. I checked and he has registered all over the internet with only one or no post just to provide a link to a silly web site which I deleted. I'll give it a few days and delete the account unless he wants to prove himself legit. Mazzrite forum Deja Vu.

I believe Ziggy has become "Stardust." :mrgreen: Anyhow getting back to the Humbuckers, who else has Mosrite Humbuckers on their Mosrites??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:31 am

Oh Man! I'd love to have that guitar on eBay. Notice the neck binding across the rear of the fretboard and the larger position markers. Dennis, does your guitar have the large markers?

Hey,

I own two of these guitars. The Humbuckers sound awesome, probably the closest thing I ever hear to it is a gibson P-100, but a little warmer. these guitars are called the Mosrite Mark VII (V, the number 2, not 7). the controls are like a gibson les paul, three way toggle, volume and tone for each pickup. the buttons, and push on/push off button (like a mini toggles but with buttons) and these are used to bypass the volume and tone controls and take the pickup signal straight to the output jack. this is almost like a pickup booster, it gives it roughly 10% more output and the tone brightens up a bit.
My favorite thing about 70's mosrites is the neck profile. you'd never believe how thin these necks are. also the width of the fretboard is much wider then 60's models, at one time I measured the nut width of my mosrite mark VII, and it was the same as my les pauls, to the 16th of an inch.
so other features, is even though these guitars are bolt on necks, they are very solid instruments. the bolt on neck actually have 6 screws, opposed to 4. the 2 extra screws are screwed in reversed into the guitar body under the neck pickup.
also these guitar DID have the Mosrite of California logo's stamped on the pickup covers, however the stamp runs along the path of the second pickup coil, so it's hard to see unless you are real up close to the guitar.
Also these mosrites had larger dot inlays compared to the 60's models.
These were one of the few mosrite models that came in a fireburst finish.
the Mark VII was only made between 1972-1974, but I have heard rumors of prototypes being produced in 1971. Mine have the serial numbers 2V0042, and 2V0110. I have only seen one other of these guitars with a higher serial number then mine, so I doubt there was much more then 120 of these guitar ever made. this particular model is what made mosrite go broke in the mid 70's, one of the many times mosrite shut down.
one other thing is mosrite never wax potted there pickups, so if you like high gain on your amp, you'll get a lot of feedback. but then again the tone knobs are very musically, and if you cut them down some it'll go away. However I went ahead and waxpotted my pickups anyway, and there sound even better now.
Cheers!
Mosrite Forever!
Ern
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:31 am

Thanks for the great over view. As for as the neck dimensions, it sounds like that is probably about the same as the new made Hallmark 60s Custom. I also widened the neck at the zero fret on my custom built clones chronicled in our Projects & How To forum. Take a look around the website.

Also, Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, please stop by the :arrow: Introduction forum
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”