Mosrite bass questions

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Mosrite bass questions

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:29 pm

So, lots of info here on Mosrite guitars - what about the basses? Do they also have the high output pickups, thin necks and speed frets? Bass players, what do you like about your Mosrite bass? Do you use the neck pickup, bridge pickup or both? Do you find the Mosrite easier or harder to play than other basses?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

zak

Re: Mosrite bass questions

Postby zak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:58 am

Yep, they have very high output pickups, thin necks, and "gotta squint to see 'em" frets.
Paul has two of 'em, both '71s I think. Both 2-pickup models. The necks are subtly different on 'em. I think he's got rounds on one of 'em and flats on the other. He mainly uses the neck pickup on 'em, the output really drops when you use both pickups together, the bridge pickup sounds great with fuzz.

Paul just got a '68 Yamaha SB-5A which is a really cool bass...kinda like if Mosrite tried to make a Jazz Bass haha.

paulybass52

Postby paulybass52 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:31 am

MWaldorf wrote:So, lots of info here on Mosrite guitars - what about the basses? Do they also have the high output pickups, thin necks and speed frets? Bass players, what do you like about your Mosrite bass? Do you use the neck pickup, bridge pickup or both? Do you find the Mosrite easier or harder to play than other basses?

Hey Mel!! Pauly Walnuts here (bass player with Dennis the Menace),finally responding to your post concerning Mosrite basses.Sorry for taking so long, but where I was residing, they don't allow any sharp objects, so I had to wait30 days before my release LOL!!-In regard to the Mosrite bass which I acquired in Oct.( and LOVING IT,BTW), Pickups-extremely high output-better than my real,original "62 P bass,and my Rick . Neck--very thin,also I use the neck pick-up for better, fuller tone,The only downside is the medium scale neck like Zak said--"gotta squint to se 'em " frets-- All in all I am really happy with the bass and like the other Paul in Zak's band the other other guys haven't seen my other basses anymore...I also checked out your website and listened to the tunes--I really enjoyed them--great arrangements..Maybe Klezmer-Surf rock will be the next big thing.. Well as the Moyle would say, I gotta cut this short now ..Tsai gesundt!!

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Nutty Pauly, bubbele, it's nice to finally see you here! So, what kind of amp to you run your bass through? Do you find that the high output pickups overdrive the amp? I suppose they're not in the realm of active pickups, but still.

Nu, when do we get to see some pictures?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:13 pm

Mel, Pauly couldn't find the page, but here's one of him.... :mrgreen:
Like he mentioned to you, none of us have seen his '62P or his RIC since
he got "Mo." He claims he still has them, but...... :roll:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Dennis, is that the bass you got off eBay a couple of years ago for $750 that was needing a tuner?
I seem to recall that you said you were getting it for your bands bass player.

Come on Pauly, don't let Dennis hog all the glory.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:28 pm

dubtrub wrote:Dennis, is that the bass you got off eBay a couple of years ago for $750 that was needing a tuner?
I seem to recall that you said you were getting it for your bands bass player.

Come on Pauly, don't let Dennis hog all the glory.

Not a couple of years ago, but about 9 or 10 months ago, and yes this was the one
that needed the tuner. When Pauly first got it, it looked like it was used for target practice, but Pauly could see that it just had a bunch of "Cheese Funk" on it :shock: . A little scrubbin here and there, paint touch up, polishing, and VOILA!!! :mrgreen:

paulybass52

Postby paulybass52 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Nutty Pauly, bubbele, it's nice to finally see you here! So, what kind of amp to you run your bass through? Do you find that the high output pickups overdrive the amp? I suppose they're not in the realm of active pickups, but still.

Well, it looks like The Menace beat me to it for the pix,so here I am with my Mo,and regarding pickups--they're way hot! Who needs active pickups anyway, My amp is a Roland DB 700,very powerful,and when I use Mo,I immediately have to turn down the volume to 1/2 compared to the Fender and the Rik--and keep an eye on this MOnster so as not to overpower everyone else (yes Dennis, I still have the '62 P bass and the Rik!!) Gotta go now, my kuggle is getting cold..

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 pm

paulybass52 wrote:
MWaldorf wrote:Nutty Pauly, bubbele, it's nice to finally see you here! So, what kind of amp to you run your bass through? Do you find that the high output pickups overdrive the amp? I suppose they're not in the realm of active pickups, but still.

Well, it looks like The Menace beat me to it for the pix,so here I am with my Mo,and regarding pickups--they're way hot! Who needs active pickups anyway, My amp is a Roland DB 700,very powerful,and when I use Mo,I immediately have to turn down the volume to 1/2 compared to the Fender and the Rik--and keep an eye on this MOnster so as not to overpower everyone else (yes Dennis, I still have the '62 P bass and the Rik!!) Gotta go now, my kuggle is getting cold..

BTW you Turkey, call me tomorrow, you got my Mosrite Guitar strap! :evil:

zak

Postby zak » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 pm

paulybass52 wrote:when I use Mo,I immediately have to turn down the volume to 1/2 compared to the Fender

I tried to get Paul to join the forum but no dice....haha I guess he's just not much of a "forum" type of person.
That's 100% true - both his Mosrite basses have stupendously high output, although I think the beat-up black bass is noticeably hotter than the sunburst, in spite of them being set up with identical pickup height.

His sunburst bass looks exactly like yours, Pauly, sunburst headstock and all...it's in really beautiful shape, with only a couple of minor dings around the bottom edge and very little other signs of wear and tear. The neck is puny and it is a real breeze to play.

The black one is another story entirely...it looks like someone tied it to a car bumper and dragged it to a couple of gigs that way. Lots of paint missing around the lower body edge, and lots of signs of years and years of heavy play. He got it with one replaced tuner and it took him several years to find another "duckfoot" on ebay haha. It has a slightly thicker neck and, like I mentioned, more output.

He plays these through a blackface Dual Showman and a 2x15 cab with Weber NeoMags in it, occasionally using a clone of a Maestro Brassmaster for fuzz. In spite of the Mosrite's absurd output, his stage volume is usually 7 or 8! He was always loud as heck when he played the Jazz Bass, but when he sold it and got the Mosrite I just thought his tone improved in every possible way. If he wants a Fender-esque tone, he uses his SB-5A, which gets a totally credible Jazz Bass sound. I don't see the Danelectro Longhorn as often as I used to but I';m sure he'll go through a phase of using it again haha.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”