Rare Mosrite?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Rare Mosrite?

Postby 101Volts » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:47 pm

While we're on the subject of early 70s Mosrite guitars I have to say that these early 70s Mosrites have an admirer in me. The sunburst headstocks are done so well and some of the guitars have humbuckers and many have extra tone controls. Beautiful.
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Adam, very interesting observation....

That's what had me confused....I never saw any individual V&T control Knobs until the 80's, and by then the Switchcraft Pushbutton switches
were gone as far as I know (Bypass or Phase switching, depending how it was wired) were gone. PLEASE let me know if this Info is incorrect.

I'm not sure what has you confused, Dennis? Is it the generic knobs or the pushbuttons or the two volume / two tone configuration? They're all kosher and roughly 1972-74 appropriate.

I don't have a VintAxe subscription, but take a look at the cover of the '73 brochure...
http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_american_mosrite.htm

Nick13

Postby Nick13 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:00 pm

I know its a prodution but ive never seen another like it.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Nick13 wrote:I know its a prodution but ive never seen another like it.

Well then feast your eyes, newbie. Here's an example of a production guitar like yours that indeed got the semi-custom Semie touch (see the tortoise shell sleeve guard and the hand cut pickguard).
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=680&start=0

Nick13

Postby Nick13 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Ya that is pretty much the same. The bridge is not angled like mine and the knobs are different but it looks the same.

Nick13

Postby Nick13 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 pm

il put up some more pix of the 6 and 12 string mosrites we have in the morning..

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:04 am

handbrake wrote:Thanks for sharing pictures of this great guitar. Is it the picture, or is the bridge angled? Aren't they typically perpendicular to the strings?
Sharp observation handbrake, an "odd" aspect I noticed immediately in this beautiful guitar. My feeble brain says that the slant of the bridge (Semie is famous for slants, heh heh) helps prevent possible string rattle or buzz but I'll leave it to our techies to comment if they so wish. ;)

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:57 am

Veenture wrote:
handbrake wrote:Thanks for sharing pictures of this great guitar. Is it the picture, or is the bridge angled? Aren't they typically perpendicular to the strings?
Sharp observation handbrake, an "odd" aspect I noticed immediately in this beautiful guitar. My feeble brain says that the slant of the bridge (Semie is famous for slants, heh heh) helps prevent possible string rattle or buzz but I'll leave it to our techies to comment if they so wish. ;)

I was thinking about this, too. It also has the effect of narrowing the distance between the strings.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 am

Or someone goofed and drilled the holes crooked. My Gospel has a mistake plate covering up the wrong stud holes drilled into the body, and even one of the holes on the mistake place itself was drilled twice. So please, Dr. Freud, explain the purpose of that. ;)

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 am

dorkrockrecords wrote:Or someone goofed and drilled the holes crooked. My Gospel has a mistake plate covering up the wrong stud holes drilled into the body, and even one of the holes on the mistake place itself was drilled twice. So please, Dr. Freud, explain the purpose of that. ;)

The Freudian explanation is pretty easy: Purpose of drilling extra holes was to relieve tension/stress/anxiety caused my the mother! :ugeek:

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”