To add to the confusion

Dennisthe Menace

Re: To add to the confusion

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 am

dubtrub wrote:I've been watching this '1969 Mosrite' on eBay and I see it sold. Isn't this an early Japanese Fillmore Mosrite copy? Look at the neck plate, rectangle shape with the tear drop, plus the body routing is different. $2195 is a lot of money for a 'close' but not really a vintage Mosrite. Or, is two thousand bucks the going price for something 'vintage' regardless of where it was made, even if it isn't a real Mosrite? eBay auction

Danny, the seller did thank a bunch of collectors in which they all confirmed that it was actually
made by FIRSTMAN.....You thought it was a FILLMORE. What is th ACTUAL difference between
a Firstman and an EARLY Fillmore?? ??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:56 am

Yeah! Firstman, that's it. I kept thinking it was something like Fillmore, Frontman or something like that. Are those Firstman's now that collectible? I remember seeing them go for around $700 on eBay a couple of years ago. :shock:[/quote]
Danny Ellison

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:15 am

This is the eBay auction I was referring to in my first post (which has me questioning my faith in humanity). Although the seller was glad to drop the Firstman name several times in his description, he never once mentioned that Firstman = Japanese. I'm afraid that some of the bidders may have bought into the hype because the guitar is old and shiny and blue without truly understanding what they were bidding on. I only wish my USA Mosrite goes for as much as that Firstman did. :cry:

As far as Firstman vs Fillmore, I think that's a question for Arpsum, but I'm pretty sure Firstman started in the '60s and was essentially a Teisco brand. In addition to the Ventures model copies, they also made some interesting original designs including hollowbodies and violin-style guitars and basses (a signature model for a band called the Blue Comets), but they all were Mosrite influenced. Fillmore started in the '70s primarily as a Japanese distributor for Semie, but went on to make Mosrite copies as well. I'm not sure of the relation between Firstman and Fillmore, but interestingly enough, today Fillmore also makes reissues of the Firstman Blue Comets model.
http://www.mosrite.co.jp/firstman_bluecomets.html

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:17 am

Are those Firstman's now that collectible?

....Well.....THAT one is!.....LOL!! You got me, I'm in shock over what that sold for too. But then again, you know what? That just takes our American Models, and "Knocks it up another Notch!" :mrgreen:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:27 am

You know, now that I think of it, this could the blue one I saw sell on eBay last year for $750. If so, I bet the seller is doing hand springs and back flips all the way to the bank. I feel sorry for the buyer getting burned like that. Unfortunately someone didn't do their home work. Every one knows that the prices of Mosrite are sky rocketing. Problem is, everyone doesn't know what a real Mosrite is.

Hopefully the information gathered here on the forum will help people learn what is and what is not a Mosrite.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:53 am

Danny, that's not a bad idea!! Maybe we could put a "Sticky" on this one and title it:
"How to Purchase a Mosrite." Underneath, we could have info on 'What to look for on purchasing an American Model,' and also 'What to Look for on Purchasing a Japanese Model' or something along those lines. We also could have a 'What to watch out for' when buying from a seller, etc. Oh well, it's just an idea..... :roll:

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:38 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Danny, that's not a bad idea!! Maybe we could put a "Sticky" on this one and title it:
"How to Purchase a Mosrite." Underneath, we could have info on 'What to look for on purchasing an American Model,' and also 'What to Look for on Purchasing a Japanese Model' or something along those lines. We also could have a 'What to watch out for' when buying from a seller, etc. Oh well, it's just an idea..... :roll:

I like the idea. It could still be done too. 8-)
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Postby TerryTNM » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Hey there,
I am certainly no authority on post 1959 Mosrite's but the guitar in the "Nokie" model looks to me to have
the same body as the one in this picture with the accommodation for an arm rest ala the JM65. Maybe one left over?
-T

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”