MOSRITE BASS - SOME SUPERFICIAL OBSERVATIONS

Dennisthe Menace

Re: MOSRITE BASS - SOME SUPERFICIAL OBSERVATIONS

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 05, 2009 2:21 pm

MWaldorf wrote:I hadn't noticed the 2 screw mount of the string retainer on that sidejack! Did you see how the end of the neck isn't flush with the pickup as it is on the later models?

Yeah, supposedly the very first batch (don't know exact count) were made that way.
As a matter of fact, the majority of the Mosrite Pix you see on the back
of their albums and their early Song Books, featured such a guitar....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue May 05, 2009 2:34 pm

I don't want to go off topic, but that color photo Mel posted shows a Don Wilson with a CAR guitar. Was that a sidejack (63)? It has a red headstock and binding, so I know it is a different guitar from some other color shots of the band posing with CAR Mosrites with natural finish headstocks and frontjacks. I know this is elementary for all you The Ventures fans, so I appreciate your tolerance :roll:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue May 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:I don't want to go off topic, but that color photo Mel posted shows a Don Wilson with a CAR guitar. Was that a sidejack (63)? It has a red headstock and binding, so I know it is a different guitar from some other color shots of the band posing with CAR Mosrites with natural finish headstocks and frontjacks. I know this is elementary for all you The Ventures fans, so I appreciate your tolerance :roll:

To avoid hijacking this topic, I started a new one dedicated to the Ventures' instruments:
http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1219
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue May 05, 2009 5:36 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Wow, I hadn't noticed the screw placement before. I wonder why it was changed....//...Here's something else I wonder. How does the two pickup Mosrite bass Bob Bogle is holding the picture below fit into the timeline?...//...Yet for the summer tour, Bob is playing a single pickup model again...//...So, a two pickup model, then back to a single pickup model? I wonder why? Has Bob ever talked about this?

Screw placement? ...think of that 'Mosrite slant' ;). Naw, the changed screw position is now halfway between the other two on the same side, making for a more secure attachment I think.
The photos are very interesting. Another similar picture taken of the group with the Geisha girl during the same photo shoot adorns the “Ventures In Japan” album, which was released in April 1965. The recording itself was made in January of that same year and the b/w photo shows the band playing the same instruments, so the bass therefore -as well as the guitars- cannot be dated later than Jan. ’65. From a realistic point of view however they’re all probably made some time during the preceding year, 1964.

When we zoom in on the bass Bob Bogle is holding we not only see the two pick-ups on it but also a third (!) control knob -undoubtedly to serve as tone control for the newly added bridge pick-up. Notice too, the absence still of a tone switch near the treble horn.
This bass makes me think it is a prototype or transitional model, having taken quite some time in getting ready for production (1966). Another reason accounting for this delay could be the fact that the demand for bass was (is) much less than for ordinary guitar which BTW was huge at the time.
To my mind this could be enough reason in itself for Semie to spend the bulk of his time, energy, staff and resources on the 6 (and 12) stringed instruments!

We do know of course that the tone switch ended up being in the definitive configuration rather than a third tone control knob.

“Yet for the summer tour, Bob is playing a single pickup model again” you say, Mel.

The Ventures had a habit of presenting their guitars to certain Japanese folks when their touring season had ended so when the group returned home they wouldn't have the bother of taking their equipment back with them. It could also be there was no 2-PUP white bass available at the time for the band's “all white” appearance.
Sometimes it happened that their entire gear got stolen so maybe they might’ve had to loan their previously owned older equipment back again for the Summer tour. Who knows?
These are just some thoughts and possibilities that come to mind …but having said that, with Mosrite of course, you can never be absolutely sure… ;)

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue May 05, 2009 5:50 pm

MWaldorf wrote:To avoid hijacking this topic, I started a new one dedicated to the Ventures' instruments:
http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1219

GREAT! Look forward to visit you and the others and the Ventures and Mosrite over there! ;)

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Tue May 12, 2009 3:34 pm

The legacy continues. Stereo, no doubt?

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue May 12, 2009 3:41 pm

handbrake wrote:The legacy continues. Stereo, no doubt?

Only stereo if there's a hidden sidejack, my friend.

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Tue May 12, 2009 3:47 pm

I guess I'm in the dark about the controls here.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue May 12, 2009 3:53 pm

handbrake wrote:I guess I'm in the dark about the controls here.

That's a V-II bass, circa 1973. 2 humbuckers, 2 volume / 2 tone / 2 push buttons (probably phase). ONE output = mono (from the Greek).

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Tue May 12, 2009 4:12 pm

dorkrockrecords wrote:That's a V-II bass, circa 1973. 2 humbuckers, 2 volume / 2 tone / 2 push buttons (probably phase). ONE output = mono (from the Greek).
Oh, I thought there were two outputs on the guard. Thanks for the explanation.

I guess the Celebrity below has phase buttons with seperate volume/tone controls as well.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”