Comparison of the different bass models?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Comparison of the different bass models?

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:21 pm

OK, so there were four main Mosrite bass models:

The Ventures model
Combo
Joe Maphis
Celebrity

I know the Ventures model was available with one or two pickups, but what about the others? I've had the chance to play a Ventures model bass (actually a '72 that DubTrub has) Much much easier to get around than a Fender P or J bass for a guitar playing shlub such as myself. I wonder how the other models compare in playability and tone to the Ventures model.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Comparison of the different bass models?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:25 am

Mel, best that I can tell, is that all Combos, Joe Maphis, and Celebritys were all
2 P'up configurations. Of course, that doesn't mean that Semie didn't build any
1 P'up versions of the above listed models as a 'Custom Order.' :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

EFElliott
Top Producer

Postby EFElliott » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 am

Hey Mel,
On the Joe Maphis, Combo, Celebrity 1,2,& 3 and Gospel models Semie used the "very same" body
for the 6 string, 12 string and bass models, so all of these are 2 pickup models, they all have the same hardware, except the trapeze tailpiece on the hollow bodies.
The Ventures style is the only bass that had its own body in the 60s, from 63-66 it just had one pickup, the only early Ventures bass I ever saw with 2 pickups was Bob Bogles and one other hanging in a Bakersfield pawn in the late 60s (might have been the same Bass) it was the shop Semie use to pawn Guitars to make payroll.
From 66 on the Ventures style bass had 2 pickups,till the reissues in the 80s.
Semie built 2 one pickup model basses in the 70s, the 300 bass that looked like the 350 stereo guitar,and the Black Widow bass Semie built for Acoustic.

Eddy

jgs61

Postby jgs61 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Can anybody tell me the scale length of the Ventures models? I'm thinking around 30 inches.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:42 pm

EFElliott wrote:Hey Mel,
On the Joe Maphis, Combo, Celebrity 1,2,& 3 and Gospel models Semie used the "very same" body
for the 6 string, 12 string and bass models, so all of these are 2 pickup models, they all have the same hardware, except the trapeze tailpiece on the hollow bodies.
The Ventures style is the only bass that had its own body in the 60s, from 63-66 it just had one pickup, the only early Ventures bass I ever saw with 2 pickups was Bob Bogles and one other hanging in a Bakersfield pawn in the late 60s (might have been the same Bass) it was the shop Semie use to pawn Guitars to make payroll.
From 66 on the Ventures style bass had 2 pickups,till the reissues in the 80s.
Semie built 2 one pickup model basses in the 70s, the 300 bass that looked like the 350 stereo guitar,and the Black Widow bass Semie built for Acoustic.

Eddy

That explains a lot! I'm still curious how much different the various models of bass sound from each other. The Ventures style is the most expensive, and also seems to be the only one with the bridge pickup actually close to the bridge - how much difference does that make in the tone?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

jgs61

Postby jgs61 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:13 am

jgs61 wrote:Can anybody tell me the scale length of the Ventures models? I'm thinking around 30 inches.

Anyone know??? :?:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:21 am

jgs61 wrote:
jgs61 wrote:Can anybody tell me the scale length of the Ventures models? I'm thinking around 30 inches.

Anyone know??? :?:

It's 30 1/4".
Danny Ellison

jgs61

Postby jgs61 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:56 am

Right on, thanks!!! ;)

jgs61

Postby jgs61 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:50 am

What should I be expecting to spend on a 60's Ventures bass? I'd prefer a blue one with 2 pickups, so blue would obviously cost more than sunburst. I was thinking around $2500. What do ya'll think? More or less?

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”