combo with humbuckers? sn ho238 what year?

brutus
Top Producer

combo with humbuckers? sn ho238 what year?

Postby brutus » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:53 pm

hey i have a combo sn h00238 1966 or 1965 but it has humbukers could it be a
special order thoughts?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: combo with humbuckers? sn ho238 what year?

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi brutus,

Welcome to the Mosrite forum. Congratulations on owning a Mosrite Combo, they are definitely nice guitars. Regarding your question about the humbuckers, well, I'll have to leave that to someone more versed than I. I can only speculate and I'm sure you have probably already done that.
Danny Ellison

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:15 pm

thank you glad to be here! although i posted in the wrong place but in my excitement
i was not paying attention. anyway my combo has the full mosley trem and hum-buckers only two knobs i will get a photo up once i figure it out. it has a incredible full sound and great sustain i play it thru a vox buckingham. not a show goes by were people don't ask what it is and comment on how good it sounds. witch is great because i can then talk mosrite for a while. well any info would be great... p.s what about a mid 60s double neck copies being made nowadays any info? brutus

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:10 pm

Hey Brutus,
Welcome aboard. I have a '65-'66 Combo with a Transparent Blueburst Finish with Matching Headstock. The Vibrato System on the early Combos were the same ones used on the Ventures, Ventures II, and Joe Maphis Models. The later Models used the "half" piece Moseley Vibrato and the separate Bridge Piece. These were also used on the Celebrity Models as well. However, my Combo has the Single Coil (P-90 Style) P'ups, and I'm desparately looking for some Mosrite Humbuckers......so if you are not happy with yours, and prefer to have the Single Coil instead,
well......maybe we could uhmmm :roll: ........J/K .....WELCOME. :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:58 am

well thanks for the offer but i'm quite happy with the hum-buckers. i did see some hum-buckers on e-bay about a week ago. i guess i was just wondering if semi was making hum-buckers in 1965-66 or if they were added later like in the early 70's perhaps. one more thought.. the f-hole is not binded and the full trem.. does the make my combo first year model?

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:54 pm

brutus wrote:well thanks for the offer but i'm quite happy with the hum-buckers. i did see some hum-buckers on e-bay about a week ago. i guess i was just wondering if semi was making hum-buckers in 1965-66 or if they were added later like in the early 70's perhaps. one more thought.. the f-hole is not binded and the full trem.. does the make my combo first year model?

Yep! The '65-'66 year production of the Combo did NOT have binding on the F-Hole, which
I thought was kind of strange, considering it has Binding on the Front and Back of the Body itself.
I'm not sure, but I believe the earliest that Semi came out with Humbuckers were around '68-'69.
By 1971, he was pushing them big time as an "Upgrade for a Warmer Sound." (especially on the new
300s and 350 Stereo's, Brass Rail, Bluesbender, etc). They were called "Mosrite Super Humbuckers."
When I get a chance, I'll check my Combo's S/N# to see how far apart our guitars are, cause I've never seen
another, let alone, talk to someone else with a FIRST Year Production Combo. Mine does not have the Binding
on the F-Hole either, and like I mentioned earlier, it DOES HAVE a Matching Headstock which I think
is rare, but not sure. My Trem Assembly is ALSO ONE PIECE.
Brutus, get her insured, especially if you're using her on gigs, you'll be a lot happier that way. ;)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:
brutus wrote:well thanks for the offer but i'm quite happy with the hum-buckers. i did see some hum-buckers on e-bay about a week ago. i guess i was just wondering if semi was making hum-buckers in 1965-66 or if they were added later like in the early 70's perhaps. one more thought.. the f-hole is not binded and the full trem.. does the make my combo first year model?

Yep! The '65-'66 year production of the Combo did NOT have binding on the F-Hole, which
I thought was kind of strange, considering it has Binding on the Front and Back of the Body itself.
I'm not sure, but I believe the earliest that Semi came out with Humbuckers were around '68-'69.
By 1971, he was pushing them big time as an "Upgrade for a Warmer Sound." (especially on the new
300s and 350 Stereo's, Brass Rail, Bluesbender, etc). They were called "Mosrite Super Humbuckers."
When I get a chance, I'll check my Combo's S/N# to see how far apart our guitars are, cause I've never seen
another, let alone, talk to someone else with a FIRST Year Production Combo. Mine does not have the Binding
on the F-Hole either, and like I mentioned earlier, it DOES HAVE a Matching Headstock which I think
is rare, but not sure. My Trem Assembly is ALSO ONE PIECE.
Brutus, get her insured, especially if you're using her on gigs, you'll be a lot happier that way. ;)

Follow Up: Brutus, the S/N# on my Combo is HO 096, and there IS a space between the
letter O and the number 0, so there were 142 units made between ours. ;)

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:52 am

Well mine is ho 231 not 238. Yes, I need to get some insurance. I didn't worry too much about it in the past, but with price of combos hitting the roof as of late I'm concerned. I have tried other hollow bodies Epi, Ibanez, even a 335 for live shows, but they don't compare.. the mosrite has a articulate high end and a booming yet not flabby bottom end and sustain forever plus it never goes out of tune!....such a fine instrument..Also my band members complain if i don't play it! Anyway I have rambled on long enough. But hey if you can't go on and on about mosrites here where can you?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:37 pm

brutus wrote:Also my band members complain if i don't play it! Anyway I have rambled on long enough. But hey if you can't go on and on about mosrites here where can you?

True statement!

Brutus, do you have any links, sound clips or YouTube video of your band?
Danny Ellison

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Well
you can check brutus and the psychedelic explosions on myspace. we have some songs up on our space. we play that late 60's early 70's underground rock, acid rock ..post summer of love pre singer/song writer era 69-73 lots of fuzz and delay reverb check out Vietnam Night to hear the mosrite in full regalia. it's not for everyone not heavy metal, but heavy. let me what you think. thanks for interest... Brutus

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”