Mosrite bridge saddles?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Mosrite bridge saddles?

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 am

I notice that on my 66 Ventures model, the roller saddles appear to be at least two distinctly different depths. However, on my guitar, they don't seem to be placed in a sensible order - ie. deeper saddles for the low strings, or even deeper on the outside strings, shallow in the center. Does anyone have any idea how this is supposed to work?

I'll try and post pictures this evening.
Thanks,
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

zak

Re: Mosrite bridge saddles?

Postby zak » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:40 am

Should be three different sizes, deeper for the two low strings, medium depth for the D and G, and real shallow/narrow for the two high strings. If the strings are seating on the two outer edges of the roller groove, you'll break more strings.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:53 pm

One thing to consider, possibly the saddles were moved around to compensate for any string rattle or buzz. Since there are no individual height adjustments for each saddle, it's possible the saddles were changed purposely. Or, it's possible that someone took the assembly apart for cleaning sometime during it's 42 years of life and didn't realize the difference. If it plays alright then I wouldn't worry about it.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks guys. I only noticed it because the B string saddle has a little side to side play that was causing buzzing. Fortunately string breakage isn't an issue. I may try to put a small shim under the saddle next time I change the strings.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

zak

Postby zak » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:34 pm

I'd just put 'em where they belong.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”