Hello.....from England.

evolu

Hello.....from England.

Postby evolu » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi, first off....this place is amazing. So much info, undisputed passion & outright nerd-ness for Mosrites. I'm currently not a Mosrite owner, I was approx. 25 years ago the owner of a 65 Ventures in Candy Red, much as I kick myself for letting go.....I must confess that I bought it accidentally and whilst being slightly innebriated. I went along with a friend to buy a Burns Baldwin Double Six.....one of the ugliest guitars ever built, my mate bought it, shortly after the seller asked if we'd be interested in this....pulled out the Mosrite, he want £175. It was very played, rusty and in dire need of a fresh set of strings and a set-up. I offered him £150, he accepted. I fell in love with the neck, I do like low frets, skinny necks and offsets. Unfortunately someone offered me a lot more than I paid for it 2-3 months later.
My guitar passion has long been Fender offsets, I've had in the region of 50 pre-CBS Jaguars & Jazzmasters over the last 30 years....passion or obsession???
I have recently purchased a Japanese Mosrite off Reverb.com....I'm now getting nervous in thinking that it might not be all that purports. It hasn't landed yet, hopefully within a couple of weeks.
I was hoping to pick a few people's juicy, chess club brains on the origin of the guitar?? In the world of Jazzmaster's / Jaguar's there is very little I don't know....but the Mosrite history seems more convoluted than could possibly be conceived....especially when it comes to the Japanese variants.
For some reason the guitar is still listed on eBay UK ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mosrite-MOSELEY-FM-0771-Electric-Guitar-Ref-No-787-/182741021207?hash=item2a8c36b217:g:w9wAAOSwCJRZiycw ).
Maybe some kind soul on here could shed a little ray of light on the guitar?
1 - This appears to be heel adjust truss rod......I haven't seen another old Japanese Mosrite with this arrangement.
2 - Pickup covers don't have the Mosrite logo or any Mosrite branding on them.
3 - Headstock just says Mosrite.....nothing else

I have tried to research as best I could, to be honest. I gave myself a headache.......

Anyway....I'm really looking forward to any all responses.

Andrew.

FrankJames
Top Producer

Re: Hello.....from England.

Postby FrankJames » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Welcome to the forum, Andrew !!

AZ Mike

Postby AZ Mike » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:15 pm

A picture of its serial number might be helpful.

evolu

Postby evolu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:31 am

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 am

Andrew, welcome to the forum!
If you search Firstman, there are a number of posts with good info.

evolu

Postby evolu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:11 pm

LoveyX wrote:Andrew, welcome to the forum!
If you search Firstman, there are a number of posts with good info.

Mr / Miss LoveyX,
Thanks for the info. So it's a Firstman.....I guess it should have bern obvious to me with a serial number prefixed with 'FM'......doh....!!!!! So much for my research eh.....

Is there an explanation for the pickup covers being blank.......or have they just been replaced?

Andrew.

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 am

Hi Andrew,
Sorry it has taken a long time to get back to you.
BTW that's Mr LoveyX to you sir! :lol:
Here's some more info I dug up from guitar-list on Firstman;

Firstman was a Japanese guitar and amplifier company founded in 1967 by Kazuo Morioka, an ex Teisco employee.
Firstman also had an licensing agreement with Semie Mosely to produce Japanese Mosrites.

Aside: Kazu-o means First-man in japanese.

So, I hope you're enjoying that mosrite...

If you need parts for it Bob Shade (a forum member) may be able to help.

evolu

Postby evolu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 pm

LoveyX wrote:Hi Andrew,
Sorry it has taken a long time to get back to you.
BTW that's Mr LoveyX to you sir! :lol:
Here's some more info I dug up from guitar-list on Firstman;

Firstman was a Japanese guitar and amplifier company founded in 1967 by Kazuo Morioka, an ex Teisco employee.
Firstman also had an licensing agreement with Semie Mosely to produce Japanese Mosrites.

Aside: Kazu-o means First-man in japanese.

So, I hope you're enjoying that mosrite...

If you need parts for it Bob Shade (a forum member) may be able to help.

Mr LoveyX, I’ve received the guitar now, hefty import charges paid.....like most things in life, there’s always a but.... the seller neglected to mention the worn out / completely unusable tremolo / string anchor block.....very sneaky, very sneaky indeed.
I have been in touch with Bob Shade who has very graciously sourced replacements......I’m itching to get it playing.
The weight feels good, lighter than I though it would be, the neck is thinner than I thought it would be...not a major issue, my lead playing is diabolical. I’ll stick to being a downstroke demon....!

Question - where could I get a set of Mosrite branded pickups? Or even just the covers? I have a friend who custom builds pickups in the UK ( https://www.mojopickups.co.uk ) who could help me out. The pickups on the guitar are plain, unbranded and little too hot for my tastes.
I’ve tried to private messaging a few people on the forum but I’m questioning whether the messaging system works..?? I have messages showing in my outbox and nothing in sent......hhmmmmm

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 am

Andrew,
Congrats on your Mark I !
I have been experiencing a no go on the private messages as well...
The two people who come to mind who may be able to supply mosrite branded pickups are (drum roll please)
Dana Moseley, who is expert at winding them and may have some in stock,
or Ed Elliot, who also worked for Mosrite and is an excellent luthier and winds them too.
Although I have no personal business dealing with either of these folks, their expertise is well known and would be the best resources I can think of.
Anyway, have fun with that guitar and let us know how you are doing!

evolu

Postby evolu » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm

LoveyX wrote:Andrew,
Congrats on your Mark I !
I have been experiencing a no go on the private messages as well...
The two people who come to mind who may be able to supply mosrite branded pickups are (drum roll please)
Dana Moseley, who is expert at winding them and may have some in stock,
or Ed Elliot, who also worked for Mosrite and is an excellent luthier and winds them too.
Although I have no personal business dealing with either of these folks, their expertise is well known and would be the best resources I can think of.
Anyway, have fun with that guitar and let us know how you are doing!

Mr.LoveyX, thanks for the info. I had already sent Ed Elliot a couple of emails regarding pickups but haven’t, as yet, received a reply. I have sent Dana a message via her Facebook profile.....I eagerly await a response.

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”