Greetings From SoCal

MozRite

Greetings From SoCal

Postby MozRite » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi my name is James aka MozRite or Moz. I am newly registered at this forum.

I love Mosrites. About 2002 I bought a Dillion Mosrite inspired guitar. I was not into Mosrite back then but the guitar looked good and sounded good. The only time I saw and tried a real Mosrite was after church one Sunday about in 1998 at Guitar Center. I wasn't a Mosrite fan so I didn't really remember the price, year or feel and sound. All I recall it was vintage 1960s and black. Then I eventually got interested in Mosrites but not sure if it had to do with the Dillion or not. I think not. I did however bought some Mosrite pickups on eBay by that lad named Elliot. I eventually sold it cheap to a friend but never put in the Dillion. I misplaced the pickups. I bought a Morales Mosrite like guitar last summer in July, off Reverb, from Japan. I found it sounded good but not sure how Mosrite correct it sounded so I thought I would order M3 Mosrite pickups but the website disappeared and the email I had for the guy bounced back when I sent him e-mail. Fortunately I found my Elliot Mosrite pickups eventually and with my passable soldering skills installed them.

The guitar is really heavy. My research shows that Morales were made of mahogany which explains the heavy weight. I think the pickups are right on but the heavy wood of the body prevent it from sounding like a real Mosrite. I still like the guitar but will only sell it if I get a real Mosrite which I will some time.

My fave Mosrites are the Mark V. It has nothing to do with Ricky Wilson of the B-52s. I don't care much for that band other than liking about four of there songs. I admire his guitar work and sound but the band doesn't grab me. Not sure what about the Mark V grabs me but must be the different shape of the body and the closed non-exposed pole-pieces pickups. I do however love all other Mosrite models but this is my fave model.

Thanks for having me here.

EDIT - How could I have forgot about, 10 years ago on the Bay I bought a Mosrite Japan in Pearl White. I guess there are many makers of Mosrite copies from Japan and this was the bottom of the barrel. Nice looking but the pickups weren't even Mosrite copies but P90s. The trem was the right type but no Mosrite written on it. Headstock said Mosrite. I liked it but not crazy about that particular model. The Morales I have now is way better. I ended up selling it on eBay. I suppose I could have tried to install my Elliot Mosrite pickups in it and listened and see how I like it then.

I also almost bought a Firstman Mosrite about a 1970 model around that time but another guy got first dibs. That would have been nice plus I think those were made of the proper wood, Alder.
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

LoveyX
Top Producer

Re: Greetings From SoCal