Hello from CA

rhoadsofrock

Hello from CA

Postby rhoadsofrock » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 pm

My name's Dan, and I live in the AV of southern California.
Been a huge fan of the sound of Mosrite guitars, for about as long as I can remember.... well, I guess I'll say since I started listening to Nirvana in the late 90's, and I started browsing the internet at the time for any and all live show recordings or other bootlegs I could come across. I know Kurt was mostly known for the many Univox Hi Fliers he used throughout his career, but I eventually learned the guitar he used at the 1990 Motor Sports International Garage show was the Mosrite Gospel (I remember being fascinated with the one picture from that show, included on the back cover/sleeve of the Incesticide CD). He also had, and gave a blue Mosrite (Mark V I believe) to Pat Smear, and was the guitar Pat used for their SNL 1993 performance.

Anyway, I've been reading different random pages on this forum for some time now, all the more knowledge and information to know. I'm actually really fond of the Ramones and the history of Johnny's Mosrites.

Something caught my attention though, which is what finally made me register as a member here. I started ripping the audio of my CD's a few months back, and the CD I got to today, was In Your Honor by the Foo Fighters. I was scanning the cover, and this one picture/guitar caught my eye:

http://i.imgur.com/9U7O4y6.jpg

So, let me back up and explain.... I did not know what Mosrite guitars were, or who Semie Moseley even was, until about 4-5 years ago, about the time I started actually listening to the Ramones more seriously. I've had a poster of Johnny since sometime in the mid 2000's, which came out of a Guitar One book or magazine I bought, that had a bunch of other artists or musicians posters as well (there were ones for Jimi Hendrix, Jimi Page, Eddie Van Halen, Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, and a bunch of others).

http://i.imgur.com/BotLBQD.jpg

That poster, is what finally made me google what kind of guitars Johnny used. When I first got the poster, I figured it was some kind of Stratocaster based on the shape of the body (yeah, I was young and obviously knew nothing about Mosrites). The point of me mentioning all of this really, is that it took me a long time to realize what Mosrites were, and which famous artists or musicians have owned or used ones.

So, now I'm wondering, who among the Foo Fighters, owns and uses the Mosrite in that picture from the booklet that came with In Your Honor?
I would have guessed Pat Smear, except I double-checked, and he had nothing to do with In Your Honor (but I mean, who's to say he didn't allow someone to take a picture and use it for the booklet, or lend/give a picture he had taken). My next wonder or guess would be Dave.... I looked up Chris Shiflett's "equipment", and nothing mentions a Mosrite guitar.
I just now google searched Dave's equipment, and no mention of a Mosrite guitar.

Anyway, I don't know if there's any Foo Fighters fans on this board, but I would be curious who in the Foo Fighters owns that Mosrite.

Also, what model of Mosrite that is.... and possibly what year it was made.

Just my curiosities and stuff :p

I've been playing guitar since I was 10 (roughly since 1999 or 2000), and I own a mexican Fender Stratocaster, and an Ovation Celebrity acoustic/electric. I want to someday get a Mosrite guitar, whether if it's a 60's made one that says "The Ventures" on the headstock, or what ever.... a reissue? Anyway, either a Mark I or Mark V style Mosrite.

(Sorry about the long intro post lol, I just decided to put the stuff about the picture of the Mosrite guitar from the Foo Fighters CD booklet in this, rather than make two separate posts)

FrankJames
Top Producer

Re: Hello from CA

Postby FrankJames » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:44 am

Welcome to the forum, Dan !!

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:16 am

Dan,
I enjoyed reading your intro, very detailed as to how you got here, so welcome to the mosrite forum!
I am not aware of the owner of the Foo's Mosrite from the In Your Honor graphic.
But I'd be willing to guess that it is a late 60's Celebrity.
It appears to be missing the pickguard and may have Japanese tuners, but my guess is that it is a USA made Celebrity.
Hopefully Sarah93003 (Queen of Celebrities) will weigh in as to whether it may be a Celebrity 1, 2 or 3...3?
Also if you search it out there is a ton of info about Johnny Ramone's guitars here.
I saw him playing live in NYC with the white Mark II about '80, unparalleled sonic onslaught.
Truly an eye opening, jaw dropping experience!
Anyway best of luck in your pursuit of all things Mosrite!

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 am

Hi Dan,

welcome to the forum and great introduction!! The Mosrite in the photo is a Celebrity-III and most likely about 1968. It is missing the pickguard. It is an entry level thinline of that era. A Celebrity-II (thin line) or Celebrity-I (thicker bout) would be a nicer guitar.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:10 am

Welcome to the forum Dan.
I've always been curious, have you ever actually seen an Antelope where you live ?

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

rhoadsofrock

Postby rhoadsofrock » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:47 pm

panther wrote:Welcome to the forum Dan.
I've always been curious, have you ever actually seen an Antelope where you live ?

Dan

Hehe, myself no, but I've definitely seen a bunch of other wild-life, as well as live-stock! Coyotes (one actually got in my yard once and killed a goat), snakes, spiders, gophers, lizards, squirrels.... but I think the highlight is, I was once up visiting a ranch in Angeles Forest mountains, it was where they kept animals that basically appear in films or television ads. Well, they had a wolf in one of the kennels. It was such a Beautiful creature! I was told it's a bit smaller than wolves normally are, but yeah, something about it was mostly used for close-up shots or something. Either way, was a very sweet thing to see. It was skittish when I was there, but yeah :) They mostly had a large number of different dogs, but they also had two pigs from what I remember. I was also told there was a bear (or more than one), but I never saw any during my visit. (The last I knew, the ranch was relocated, and I knew someone who worked there, so it's not really a ranch that's open for the public to just go and see the animals)

When I was younger, two of our neighbors had horses at different times. I remember the neighbor that lived two doors down from our house, had a horse when I was a kid. Then during my teens, our next-door neighbor on the other side had a horse for a while. Also when I was a kid, we had a donkey.... but that thing was more annoying than cool or what ever, when ever it would see one of us outside or what ever, it would come up and start screaming at us - I think it was just constantly wanting food, despite being fed alfalfa daily. I think I'm a bit grateful I was born years after my grandpa's adventures with livestock though.... I was told about the times he brought home steers, cows, pigs, and chickens. Besides the chickens, which were kept for their eggs, the others did not sound like they were fun to have, and apparently the steers were indeed killed and butchered for the meat, and it was apparently not fun to be around when that happened (I was told that people came to our property and did it here, and my family had to leave the house while it was happening, just from the sound the other steer started making after the first steer was put down, and the second one realized what was going on).

And no, I'm not necessarily a rancher or farmer.... I ended up getting a couple goats a few years back to keep the half-acre I live on weed-free. All I'll say, they're funny animals, but also very smart, they've figured out how to get through chain-link fences, how to open gate latches, and out of the yard a few times. Them figuring all of that out impressed and annoyed me, hahaha.

Good to know the info for the Mosrite pictured in that Foo Fighters booklet. Like I said, once it caught my attention, I became curious.
But yeah, I love researching what musicians or artists have owned or played Mosrites in their careers. The story with Kurt and his Gospel blew my mind.
I'm curious if Pat Smear still has the blue Mark V that Kurt gave him, or if not. But all this really just intrigues me, because Mosrites are rarely seen very often, outside of the notable performers and performances they're known for. And they have such good sound, like I said, I didn't even know what Mosrites were for a long time, but loved any time I heard the sound, and could hear the difference say with the Ramones or Nirvana, and any other guitarists I'd listen to.

(And I have heard The Ventures. Really good stuff, I like listening to them when ever I get in the mood for any 60's surf rock stuff.)

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:57 am

Live south of you in AV, Anza Valley. I can relate to all of the creatures you speak of, especially the Coyotes. My Avatar was killed by a coyotes about 6 years ago. A very bad day for me indeed.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”